Cook's Hideout: Jonna Rawa Idli (Jowar Idli) with Coconut-Almond Chutney

June 17, 2015

Jonna Rawa Idli (Jowar Idli) with Coconut-Almond Chutney

Blogging Marathon# 53: Week 3/ Day 1
Theme: 3 Ingredient Recipes
Dish: Jonna Rawa Idli with Coconut-Almond Chutney
My theme for this week is quite interesting, it is '3-Ingredient Recipes'. Valli sure knows how to get our brain cells to working. We had done 5-Ingredient recipes in one of the previous BMs, but this 3 ingredient theme sure took some thinking and some googling to finalize the 3 dishes.
Jonna Rawa Idli (Jowar Idli) with Coconut-Almond Chutney
Today's 3 ingredient recipe is a South Indian staple breakfast but made with a healthier and nutritious ingredient swap. Idli rawa is replaced with a whole grain jonna/ jowar rawa.

Jonna Rawa Idli
I saw the recipe on a Telugu cooking show and tried it when my husband was travelling. I was skeptical and wasn't sure how the idlis would turn out - I was half expecting them to be hard as rocks. They turned out soft, may be not as pillowy as the traditional idlis, but still soft & fluffy.
I made them again for my husband, who has been asking me to make idlis for a very long time. He liked them too. These idlis are very filling, you can eat probably 3~4 of these in place of 6~8 of the regular idlis. 
Jonna Rawa Idli (Jowar Idli) with Coconut-Almond Chutney
Ingredients: Makes about 8~10 regular size idlis
Jonna Rawa (Jowar/ Sorghum rawa) - 1~1½cups
Urad dal - ½cup
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Soak jonna rawa in just enough water for 6~8 hours. Soak urad dal for 6~8 hours too.
  • Grind the urad dal into a smooth batter using just enough water. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Drain jonna rawa/ jowar and add to urad dal. If the rawa seems too coarse, then grind it in the mixer for a few seconds, then mix with urad dal.
  • Cover the bowl and set aside in a warm place to ferment for at least 8~10 hours. Mixture will get frothy when ready.
  • Add salt to the mixture and mix well.
  • Lightly grease the idli molds and distribute the batter evenly in the idli molds, steam for 15 ~16 minutes. Serve hot with chutney of choice. 


I served them with a 3-ingredient coconut-almond chutney. So this is a post with a 2 3-ingredient recipes :-)
3-ingredient Coconut-Almond Chutney
3-Ingredient Almond-Coconut Chutney:
Ingredients:
Grated Coconut (fresh or frozen) - ½cup
Almonds - 3tbsp
Green Chilies - 1~2 (adjust per taste)
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Soak almonds overnight. Drain and grind along with the other ingredients into a smooth paste.
Jonna Rawa Idli (Jowar Idli) with Coconut-Almond Chutney

 
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 53.
Signature

19 comments:

  1. That's awesome Pavani..I love these idlis and naturally your pictures are making me want to grab these right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you made it like rava idli but interesting Pavani with urad dal. Bookmarked idlis looks so soft and very healthy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Idlies look soft and fluffy pavani, i like that coconut-almond chutney. A perfect way to start the day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both the idlis and chutney looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow such a healthy dish. Good one Pavani. Recently i made this kind of idly but with sooji and bajra flour. Jowar idly looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Idlies look soft and fluffy and both the idlies and the chutney are with 3 or fewer ingredients.. :) I would have just spilt this post two used one for day 2.. :) That is lazy me talking..

    ReplyDelete
  7. The idlis do look really good and I would absolutely not mind swapping these for the regular ones. Love the coconut almond chutney. When we were breaking our head to come up with 3, 3 ingredient recipes, you are doing double posts here :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice use of sorghum rava. Idlis turned out great. I like the chutney, must try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting - both idli and chutney are 3 ingredient based :)) loved them both..

    ReplyDelete
  10. perfect soft idlis with jowar...coconut almond chutney looks great...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wat a healthy idli, both idly and chutney makes me hungry, beautiful combination.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i have never seen jowar rawa anywhere. and wonder why...the idlis look super soft and fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  13. These do turn out beautifuly Pavani. I have tried idlis with millets and Jowar rava. They are amazingly delicious and like you said I needed lesser than the required 40 idlis.;D The almond chutney is new to me. will try that.
    Love your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Healthy, soft and innovative idlis, super !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was just asking our local grocer to get his hands on jonna rawa and he promised me he would look for it :) Perfect idlis and tempting pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...both the idli and chutney look lovely....almond with coconut sounds like a must try option!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips