Blogging Marathon# 53: Week 4/ Day 1
Theme: Bookmarked Recipes -- Veena's Veg Nation
Dish: Iyengar Bakery Khara Bread
We are starting the final week of Blogging Marathon for this month today and I'm paired with Veena and for the next 3 days I'm going to post 3 dishes from Veena's blog. Veena blogs at Veena's Veg Nation and she has an awesome collection of recipes both traditional Indian and International. She is an amazing baker, I have quite a few of her breads and other baked goodies bookmarked, hopefully I'll get to bake them some time soon.
Ingredients: Makes 1 9"x5" loaf pan
For the dough:
All purpose flour - 2cups
Whole wheat flour - 11/4cups (or use 31/4 cups of all purpose flour)
Instant Yeast - 2tsp
Sugar - 11/2tbsp
Salt - 1tsp
Oil - 2tbsp
Lukewarm water - 3/4cup
Lukewarm Milk - 1/2cup
For the Masala/ Spice mixture:
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Onion - 1 medium, finely chopped
Cilantro - 1cup, finely chopped
Mint - 1cup, finely chopped
Green chilies - 1~2 or use 1/2tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Salt - a pinch
- Make the Spice mixture: Heat 1tbsp oil in a skillet, add the cumin seeds and cook for 30 seconds. Next add the onions and cook till they turn translucent, about 4~5 minutes.
- Add the red pepper flakes, herbs and salt. Cook for 1 more minute. Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- For the dough: Combine all the ingredients for the dough along with the onion mixture in a large bowl or the bowl of the stand mixture.
- Mix and knead until a smooth, soft and satiny dough is formed, about 8 minutes on the machine, 10~12 minutes by hand.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in volume.
- Remove the dough onto a lightly floured surface, gently deflate the dough and flatten it into a rectangle. Roll into a tight log and pinch the edges.
- Place the log into a lightly greased 9"x5" baking pan and flatten slightly to fill the pan. Cover with a lightly greased plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 hour or until the dough crests 1" over the rim of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Brush the top of the dough with soy milk and bake for 35~40 minutes or until the bread is golden brown on top and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- Then invert it over a wire rack and cool completely before slicing.