Cook's Hideout: Vegetarian Fajitas

June 04, 2015

Vegetarian Fajitas

Blogging Marathon# 53: Week 1/ Day 2
Theme: Tortilla based Dishes
Dish: Vegetarian Fajitas
Second day of tortilla based dishes and today I've some delicious vegetarian fajitas to share. Fajitas happen to be my favorite dish to order at Chili's restaurant. I've never made them at home even though they are quite simple to make.
Vegetarian Fajitas
Vegetarian fajitas are not on Chili's menu, but a nice waitress had it customized for me once and I got totally hooked. Every time I went to this Chili's location, I make sure to order their vegetarian fajitas.

A Fajita commonly refers to any grilled meat that is served as a taco on a flour or corn tortilla. The meat is usually cooked with onions and peppers. Condiments like lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo etc are also served.
But for the vegetarian version of my fajitas, I simply sauteed some veggies and flavored them with homemade taco seasoning. Grilling the veggies is a better option and makes them taste much better but I took the easy way out. Roasting is also another great option to cook the veggies.
Vegetarian Fajitas
I made my own taco seasoning because I had all the ingredients for the spice mix right in my pantry. Google for homemade taco seasoning recipe and you will have tons of recipes, but all of them are basically a mix of chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, ground cumin, salt & pepper and may be couple more ingredients. It takes a few minutes to mix everything together and can be stored in the pantry for a couple of months. If buying store bought seasoning mix, look for unwanted ingredients like MSG etc.

Ingredients: Serves 4
Flour Tortillas - 4~6

For the Veggies:
Poblano Chilies - 4, chopped
Peppers - 2 medium, chopped
Zucchini - 1 medium, chopped into 1/4" thick slices
Summer Squash - 1 medium, chopped into 1/4" thick slices
Onion - 1 small, sliced into thick slices
Broccoli - 2cups, cut into florets
Taco seasoning - 1~2tsp (store bought or homemade)
Salt - to taste

Toppings:
Grated Cheddar, Monterey jack, Pepperjack - as needed
Sour cream - as needed
Salsa - as needed

Method:
  • Cook the Veggies: Saute, grill or roast the veggies until crisp tender. Season with salt, pepper and taco seasoning. 
  • If sauteing, then cook the veggies in batches to evenly cook them.  
  • To serve: Place the veggies along the center of the tortilla, top with the toppings of choice, fold and eat. Enjoy!!
Vegetarian Fajitas

 
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 53.
Signature

23 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your series so much Pavani, very beautifully clicked to top it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fajitas look delicious. Did you make the same grilled veggies when we came over? Those were yum too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Usha. Yes, veggies are the same. I just sauteed them with taco seasoning :-)

      Delete
  3. Lovely fajitas ! Nice combo meal
    There

    ReplyDelete
  4. i remembered the first i had them in the USA...i did not know you ahve to make your own roll back then, and amidst all foreigners i finished my veggies first and then rolled up my chapati :) , just brought back smile on face when i saw ur pictures with the arrangement...memories more than a decade old

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fajitas looks very colourful...lovely clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fajitas look so yummy.. Omg I simply love all your pics.. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the clicks Pavani. You have brought so much of life into even cooked broccoli! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a super filling and healthy fajitas, truly irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pavani I am drooling here. Running a mental list of veggies in my pantry....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that's a awesome spread ! Beautiful clicks and a super meal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pictures and love he grilled veggies in there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a healthy and filling dish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. fajitas are one of my faves when they bring it out on the sizzling platters in the restaurants. love your home made version!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am definitely trying these from your post! I have not used poblano peppers before, but they sound interesting in the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fajitas is a favorite in my house. Your pictures are so appetizing. Time to make these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super clicks pavani, rajani rightly said, those broccoli looks so colorful and lively in the pic. Fajitha's look super tempting with all that toppings!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking really tempting Pavani.The veggies looks so good.I would love to have a roll now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful looking fajitas. Drooling here..

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like all the veges they looks crisp and the ingredients you used are sound so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am drooling over the clicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks colourful and vibrant!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips