Cook's Hideout: Eggless French Toast (with Custard powder)

August 04, 2014

Eggless French Toast (with Custard powder)

Blogging Marathon# 43: Week 1/ Day 3
Theme: Tame the Yeast
Dish: Eggless French Toast
For the final day of this week's marathon, I made a simple eggless French toast using this No-Knead Light Whole wheat bread. I love French toast, be it with egg or without. I like the puffy slightly sweet bread drizzled with some maple syrup or honey.
Eggless French Toast (with Custard powder)
It's been a while I made French toast and wanted to make it with the first batch of whole-wheat bread, but that loaf was all gone in a blink of an eye. So I baked another loaf and told my mom clearly that the leftovers were for French toast and nothing else. Thankfully I had a few end slices left to make this yummy treat that can be served for breakfast or as an evening snack.

Ingredients: For 2 servings
Bread Slices - 4, thickly cut (day old bread is best here)
Milk - ½cup
Custard Powder - 2tbsp (corn starch can be used instead)
Sugar - 2tbsp (add less sugar if you don't like sweet French Toast)
Vanilla Extract - ½tsp (optional)

Method:

  • In a wide plate or a pie pan; whisk custard powder and sugar into milk until well combined.
  • Heat a griddle/ tawa on medium heat.
  • Dip a bread slice in the milk mixture making sure that the whole bread gets a good coating of the custard mixture. Do not leave the bread in the milk for too long -- that might cause the bread to get too soggy.
  • Melt 1tbsp butter on the griddle and cook the custard soaked bread for 2~3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
  • Remove onto a plate and repeat the remaining bread. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup or honey or just as is. This was sweet enough for us.
Eggless French Toast (with Custard powder)
Let's check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up today for BM# 43.
Signature

9 comments:

  1. Excellen,who can resist to this incredible eggless french toast, delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this french toast a lot and this is tempting me badly dear :) I wud love to have both pieces now !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so yummy! This was on my to do list as well with the leftover bread if I had participated in this marathon. I will still make it sometime and post it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. French toast our weekend breakfast dish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great way to use the bread Pavani..my kids loved it when I had made this for them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never tried anything like this..among the sweet versions it is only shahi tukda..good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a comforting and tatsy breakfast bread !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting and tempting one too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has been on my list for a long long time. Your pics are making me hungry right now...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips