Cook's Hideout: Mango Jam (with Pectin)

August 29, 2014

Mango Jam (with Pectin)

It is officially the end of end of mango season. I was lucky enough to taste the final mangoes of the season in India. My mom and I ran to the market in the middle of a hot day as soon as we heard there're mangoes in the market. My daughter and I totally enjoyed the sweet Banganapalli mangoes, while the self proclaimed mango phobic person (my son) looked at us like we were crazy. It's been good 14 years that I ate a good Andhra mango.
Mango Jam (with Pectin)

Banganapalli mangoes
I was excited to see some mangoes on our recent visit to the local Indian grocery and bought a whole crate out of sheer excitement, only to find that most of them had dark spots on them. They tasted super sweet and juicy, but the dark spots started to grow bigger by the day. With my husband travelling, I couldn't possibly eat all of them, so decided to make a jam with the rest of them -- this way at least we can preserve and relish the mangoes longer.

I bought some pectin long time back and the recipe is right out of the instructions that came with the package. The package contains Pectin and white Calcium powder. According to the package, calcium water is needed to activate the pectin. I remember using pectin without the calcium water and it worked just fine. But I wanted to stick to the recipe and followed the instructions as is. After reading the FAQ on their website I realized that fruits contain some calcium which might be enough to activate the pectin, but as a precaution, they have included calcium water in all their recipes so the jams and jellies jell properly.
Mango Jam (with Pectin)
Ingredients:
Ripe Mangoes - 3~4 medium, peeled and chopped to get 4 cups
Lemon or Lime juice - ¼cup 
Sugar - ¾cup (can add up to 2 cups depending on the sweetness of your mangoes)
Ground Cardamom - ½tsp
Pectin - 3tsp
Calcium water - 1tbsp+1tsp (½tsp calcium powder mixed in ½cup of water)

Method:
  • Wash and dry the mangoes thoroughly. Peel and chop the mangoes. Then using a potato masher or the back of the spoon mash the mangoes to get a coarse texture. If you want a smooth texture, then blend it into a paste.
  • Combine the sugar and pectin in a small mixing bowl and mix well to combine.
  • Place the mashed mangoes into a heavy bottomed pan. Add lemon/ lime juice, calcium water and bring the mixture to a boil. 
  • Add the sugar-pectin mix and keep cooking, stirring continuously for 2~3 minutes to dissolve pectin. Bring the mixture to a full boil and cook for 1~2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
  • While the jam is still hot, pour into clean bottles and let the jam cool completely before closing with the lid. Refrigerate the jam and make sure to use dry spoon/ knife while taking  it out.
Mango Jam (with Pectin)



Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge: August -- Week 5'.











Also to Mir's 'No Waste Challenge (Elizabeth's link here).
Signature

7 comments:

  1. I bought a box of mangoes earlier this summer and did not like them at all. Did not dare to buy again. It is always a hit and miss kinda of thing for me with mangoes. Last year I was lucky and my mangoes were sweet and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Pavani, you had a proper bye bye session with mangoes!!..I didn't have mine..:((...I was so sad that I didn't even enjoy them as I was planning and before I could make all those dishes I wanted to make, the mangoes disappeared!...Good that you were able to enjoy during the season and I relate to your feeling..all of us at home are mango maniac..so no worries...your jam looks so sinful, good to enjoy a good homemade jam!..your props are out of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that pic from the market. what a perfect way to utilize over ripe mangoes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish i get a bottle of this jam, coz if i get mangoes i cant even make foods with them, as we love to finish mangoes just like that as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this would be great for the no waste food challenge I am hosting this month and would love it if you would link up - thanks - http://www.eastwestrealm.com/2014/08/no-waste-food-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful recipe! Love that tower of mangoes too - I've never seen anything like it before in real life. Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge - could I ask that you update your page to include a link to the challenge page on my website and Chef Mireille's page too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pectin in jam has a great effect on its thickness. There are numerous health benefits to it as well.
    http://applepectinpowderbenefitscholesterol.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips