Cook's Hideout: Chillu Garelu (Minapa Vada)

August 12, 2014

Chillu Garelu (Minapa Vada)

Blogging Marathon# 43: Week 2/ Day 1
Theme: Navarathri -- Festival Special
Dish: Garelu (Vada)
My theme for this week is dishes made for Navarathri. I planned on having all the dishes ready while on vacation in India, but the last week got too hectic and I couldn't get the posts ready on time.Thanks to my mom who made 2 dishes for me, I have the pictures ready. We are back home now and slowly getting back to routine.
After signing up for this theme, I called my cousin for suggestions for dishes that are typically made for Navarathri. She immediately emailed me the list of dishes that are made on each of the 9 days during Dasara celebrations. I will post that list soon.
Chillu Garelu (Minapa Vada)

Today I have a very simple dish that is made with just a few ingredients but it needs some patience to practice to master. Garelu/ Vada are quintessential dish that is made for festivals, special occasions like marriages, house warming and so on.
I am no expert in vada making, but my mom makes some fluffy, soft ones. The key in the success of vada/ gaarelu making is the consistency of the batter, if the batter is too thcik then the vada will turn out hard and if it is too thin then they won't hold their 'vada' shape. My mom says that the garelu/ vada made in the stone grinder (Ultra grind, for example) turn out much softer and fluffier than the ones ground in the blender.
Chillu Garelu (Minapa Vada)

Ingredients:
Urad dal - 1cup
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Soak urad dal in plenty of water for at least 4 hours. Grind the soaked dal with LITTLE OR NO water. Add cumin seeds, salt and set aside.
  • Heat oil for deep frying. To make the vadas, take about 2-3 tbsp of batter on a ziploc bag or aluminum foil, flatten it and poke a hole in the middle. Slowly transfer it into the hot oil and fry on medium-high flame until golden brown and cooked through.
  • Serve immediately with ginger chutney or sambar or coconut chutney or anything else.
Chillu Garelu (Minapa Vada)
Let's check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up today for BM# 43.
Signature

10 comments:

  1. Nice and crispy vadas,your picture makes me tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who can resist to this addictive vadas, love that u prepared urs with cumin, i love cumins in vadas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garelu have turned out so good...this is a must for all festivals right..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Addictive ones. For us, pottu minapa garelu is mandatory for all functions, big or small.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back. garelu look so light and fluffy despite being fried

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these Vadas. Have to make these soon! They look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back, Pavani. Hope you had a fun filled vacation!
    Fantastic and traditional treats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They have turned out so well! Irresistible snack!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips