Cook's Hideout: Meghalaya -- Vegetarian Jadoh (with Tofu)

April 18, 2014

Meghalaya -- Vegetarian Jadoh (with Tofu)

Blogging Marathon# 39 - Indian States: Day 18
State: Meghalaya
Dish: Jadoh
We move onto the next North eastern state of Meghalaya today. The name means 'the abode of clouds' in Sanskrit. Just the name makes me think of beautiful sky kissing moutains and luscious greenery and breathtaking landscapes. Coming back to reality, about one-third of the state is forested and the forests are notable for biodiversity of mammals, birds and plants. It was previously part of Assam, but formed a new state in 1972.
Tribal people make up the majority of Meghalaya's population. The Khasis are the largest group, followed by the Garos and the Jaintias. Meghalaya is one of the 3 states in India to have Christian majority with 70.3% of the population practising Christianity (other 2 being Mizoram and Nagalan, also in the northeastern India).
Cuisine: Meghalayan cuisine is very unique and is quite different from the other states in the northeastern India. Staple food of the people is rice with spicy meat and fish preparations. Each tribe has its own variety of foods. The popular dishes of Khasis and Jaintia are Jadoh, Ki kpu, pickled bamboo shoots etc. Garos on the other hand eat almost any animal, but in day to day life they usually have a simple meal with rice and kapa (this can be made of either meat or vegetables and is cooked with special ingredient called karchi which is made up of filtered ash water).
Meghalaya -- Vegetarian Jadoh (with Tofu)

Today's Dish: Finding a vegetarian dish from Meghalaya was quite a challenge, so I decided to turn a meat dish vegetarian. Jadoh is a Khasi delicacy and is made with the local red rice and pork. It is a typical Meghalaya dish, known for its aromatic taste and minimum use of oil.
I used store bought Oriental style tofu in place of pork. My initial plan was to marinate soy chunks (meal maker) in some vegan worcestershire sauce to get the meaty flavor, but I was out of soy chunks -- so had to resort to an easier plan B. I really liked this dish because it is very clean tasting without a ton of masalas/ spices. I guess I prefer bland food -- sometimes and this is one dish I would probably make again.
Meghalaya -- Vegetarian Jadoh (with Tofu)
Recipe adapted from Khaana Khajana:
Ingredients:
Rice - 1cup (I used Jasmine rice)
Oriental style Tofu - 1cup, chopped
Onion - 1 medium, chopped
Ginger - 1" piece, grated
Turmeric - ¼tsp
Black Pepper - to taste
Bay leaves - 2
Salt - to taste
Cilantro - 2tbsp, finely chopped

Method:
  • Wash the rice and drain. Set it to the side.
  • Heat 2tbsp oil in a wide pan, saute bay leaves, onions, ginger, turmeric and pepper. Cook till onions are lightly browned around the edges.
  • Add the tofu and fry for 2~3 minutes.
  • Add the washed rice asnd fry for 2~3 minutes. Then add salt and mix well.
  • Add 2 cups of warm water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and cook till all the water is absorbed and rice is cooked through, about 15~20 minutes.
  • Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.

Meghalaya -- Vegetarian Jadoh (with Tofu)


Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 39.




Signature

16 comments:

  1. the recipe is simple but the flavours are good.Like the way you turned it into a veg dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegetarian jadoh looks wodmerful! I like the bowl you served it in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures are surely tempting Pavani..I had thought of making it with aloo..but had to ditch it in the last moment..also I knew if it was bland food, I will have only myself to eat..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jadoh with tofu is just asking me to finish that bowl, fantastic veg version, looks excellent Pavani.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice substitution, Pavani. The Ja-Tofu turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very tempting bowl, with tofu in it , it is perfect replacement

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice substitution, Pavani. Nice pictures as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. can I get that bowl of goodness!! so well made!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so pretty. love that bowl and the jadoh.. makes me hungry

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are so many variations of Jadou today. Tofu version looks super inviting...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I usually hate tofu but the way you fried them golden actually looks really good

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jadoh with tofu sounds very inviting,loved your version..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds delicious and looks yum. I like the use of tofu. Maybe this time I will catch hold of some tofu and try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tofu is my favorite and this looks very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Simple and nutritious. Sounds yummy and am sure any vegetables would also work in this dish. Up until last minute, a tofu based jadoh was what I had in my mind too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow thats fabulous you have recreated a veg version for jadoh great pavani :) love the tofu twist to this rice dish!! looks super inviting !!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips