Cook's Hideout: Nagaland -- Betang Meh (Kidney Beans with mustard greens & ginger)

April 20, 2014

Nagaland -- Betang Meh (Kidney Beans with mustard greens & ginger)

Blogging Marathon# 39 - Indian States: Day 20
State: Nagaland
Dish: Betang Meh (Kidney Beans with mustard greens & ginger)
Fourth North eastern sate in a row, today we are going to Nagaland. Nagaland is one of the smallest states in India. Nagaland is largely mountainous state. There are 16 main tribes in Nagaland and each tribe has its own unique language, customs and cooking styles.
Naga cuisine features meats and fish, which are often smoked, dried or fermented. A typical Naga table consists of a meat dish, a boiled vegetable dish or two, rice and a chutney. Some common dishes are 'fermented bamboo shoot' with fish and pork. Naga food tends to be spicy beacuse of the use of different varieties of chilies.

Today's Dish: Like the other North Eastern states, finding vegetarian dishes was extremely difficult even for Nagaland. Lot of emails were exchanged within our BM group and a link to a Naga facebook page was found by one lucky member. It was like jackpot and I picked one dish from there.
Nagaland -- Betang Meh (Kidney Beans with mustard greens & ginger)

Betang Meh is a dish made with kidney beans and mustard greens. It is simply flavored with ginger and an exotic vegetable from the hills of Nagaland. I skipped the exotic veg and proceeded with the recipe. Again I liked the dish even though it didn't have any spices, like I said in previous post I like bland food :-)

Ingredients:
Red Kidney beans - 1cup
Mustard leaves - 3~4cups, chopped (I used broccoli rabe instead)
Ginger - 1" piece, grated
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Soak kidney beans overnight. Pressure cook the beans until tender. 
  • Once the pressure subsides, add the greens. Bring the mixture to a boil, then add the ginger. Cover the cooker and cook on low flame until the greens are cooked.
  • Stir in between, season with salt. Mash the beans for a thicker curry. Serve with rice.
Nagaland -- Betang Meh (Kidney Beans with mustard greens & ginger)


Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 39.




Signature

16 comments:

  1. lovely colors in the picture...and this dish is on my to do list now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mustard greens have their own flavour and actually can pasd off without spices..like the addition of beans..makes it healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wat a wonderful way and brilliant idea to add broccoli rabe here. Betang meh looks nutritious and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really nice. I should try this. My family will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good find, Pavani. These seven sisters literally tried my patience :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the flavor of mustard greens!! and the clicks are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good that you enjoyed it. nice colourful pot

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting dish Pavani..mix of lentil and greens surely makes this dish so healthy as well..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful snaps. These NE states really need so much research. Will never forget this experience...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agree with finding a veg recipe is very difficult for NE states,nice choice of dish,looks delicious and healthy..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree food does not have to be super spicy all the time - I like simple flavored foods especially in hot summer and with ginger, I am sure it had enough flavor

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is sure a healthy and nutritious dish. It is good you like bland food. I would throw in a at least a chili or two to spice it a little.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like how the NE states have the minimal use of spices and yet tasted really good. Looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must try this my hubby who likes minimum spices will love it. This looks yum

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seems like my daughter's kind of food who loves bland food too but a healthy combo of greens and veggies.
    I would have been tempted to add a little bit of spice if I tried it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow thats an very interesting dish with mix up of beans and greens :) I even love the way the NE foods are with mild spices and very healthy way of preparation :) very inviting dish !!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips