Cook's Hideout: Sinangag (Filipino Garlic Fried Rice)

August 27, 2011

Sinangag (Filipino Garlic Fried Rice)

The theme for next 3 days for BM# 8 will be "Cooking with 5 ingredients or less". I turned to Vegetarian Times magazine for inspiration, since they have a monthly feature called "5 ingredients". I wanted to try new recipes that make a meal or at least a filling snack and do not require any side dishes to go with it.


Today I made this simple rice dish with left-over rice and it seems it is made as a breakfast dish in the Philippines with lots of garlic. Eating rice for breakfast may sound strange to some of non-rice eating people, but for us rice  being the staple grain it was served for all 3 meals in the day. I remember my mom making lemon rice or alu-bhath or tomato rice or some fancied up rice dish with left over rice, which kept us going until lunch time. 



I did not count salt and pepper as ingredients, please use them as needed in the recipe.

Ingredients:
Cooked Rice - 4 cups
Eggs - 4
Oil - 3tbsp
Garlic cloves - 5, thinly chopped (original recipe calls for 9 cloves, I cut it down to 5; but if you are a garlic lover, I would suggest you go with the full amount)
Green onions - 1 bunch, white and green parts finely chopped

Method:
  • Whisk eggs with 1 tbsp water in a small bowl.
  • Heat 2tsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggs tilting to coat the bottom of the pan, and cook 3-4 minutes until the eggs are firm like an omelet. Flip carefully and cook on the other side for another minute. Remove onto a cutting board and cut into 2" strips and set aside.
  • Add the remaining oil to the same pan and keep the heat at medium. Stir in the chopped garlic and cook 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring often.
  • Add the chopped green onions (reserve some green parts for garnish)  and saute for another 2 minutes.
  • Next add the cooked rice, increase the heat to high, and cook 3-4 minutes, or until the rice begins to brown.
  • Season with salt and pepper, and stir in the chopped eggs and garnish with the reserved green parts of the scallions.

Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up for Day 5 of BM# 8.

Signature

9 comments:

  1. New one. Looks good Pavani. Do send it to my garlic event if possible.

    Vardhini
    Check out my 100th post giveaway.
    Current Event: Herbs and Flowers - Garlic

    ReplyDelete
  2. so simple and nice recipe. I will try without eggs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy fried rice ...looks very yum n neat ....nice pics

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a coincidence! I had made an egg garlic rice for day 6 too! But unfortunately I goofed up with the camera and couldn't post the recipe. It tasted yummy though!The difference in the recipe is that you are cooking the egg separately, while I added them to the rice and let them get absorbed into the rice.

    Yours look good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks excellent and flavourful..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can almost smell all that garlic from here. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That rice looks awesome! Tempting delicious-ness in a lovely bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos! I found your post after searching for Vegetarian Times' sinangag recipe to link on my blog. Looking forward to exploring your site more! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips