Cook's Hideout: Almond Brown Rice Pudding

August 04, 2011

Almond Brown Rice Pudding

This recipe was love at first site for me. When I saw the recipe on Whole Foods website, I just had to make it right away. But that right away did not come for another 2 months, even though I was thinking of the dish a lot. It is a simple rice pudding with brown rice, almond milk and pureed dates and I usually have all the ingredients in my pantry & the fridge. What really caught my attention was the use of pureed dates in the recipe and I was imagining the combination of creamy almond milk with the rich sweetness of the dates even before making the dish.

Almond Rice Pudding1

It was so totally worth it when I finally made it, wasn't disappointed at all. It was slightly chewy, sweet and nutty - a perfect balance of taste & texture -- totally awesome. I used Lion brand date syrup that I brought back from India instead of pureeing the dates. I also used long grain brown rice, but short grain rice would probably make a more creamier rice pudding. So if you want to make this dish, try to get some short grain brown rice.

Almond Rice Pudding4

Recipe adapted from Whole Foods website.
Brown rice - 1cup (preferably short grain, but long grain would work just fine)
Almond milk - 4½cups (start with 4 cups and add the rest if needed)
Date Syrup** - 1/3cup (or more if you like it sweeter)
Raisins - ¼cup
Dried Cranberries - ¼cup
Ground Cinnamon - ¼tsp
Almond extract - ½tsp
Vanilla extract - 1tsp
Slivered Almonds - ½ cup, chopped

  • Bring rice and 4 cups of almond milk to a boil in a saucepan; lower the heat to medium low and cook until the rice is cooked and has almost absorbed the almond milk, stirring occasionally, takes about 45 minutes. I had to add an additional ½cup of milk for the rice to be completely cooked.
  • Stir in date syrup, raisins, craisins, almond extract, vanilla extract, cinnamon, almonds into the rice and serve warm.
Almond Rice Pudding3

** To make date syrup: soak ½cup of pitted dates in ½cup cup of boiling water for 15 minutes. Then blend them into a puree along with the soaking liquid.

Almond Rice Pudding2


  1. Nice pudding!! Love that you added dates.

  2. Sounds delicious. Definitely a healthy pudding.

  3. awesome. i don't think there is rice pudding on yet. you should submit it.

  4. Wow.. yummy pudding.. almond milk, dates, Raisins and Cranberries.. what more can I ask for :-)

    -Spandana (formerly Cinnamon of CinnamonTrail)


Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips