Cook's Hideout: Gutti Vankaya Kura (Andhra Style Stuffed Eggplant Curry)

August 07, 2011

Gutti Vankaya Kura (Andhra Style Stuffed Eggplant Curry)

This is one of my absolute favorite dish, but I’ve never made it myself before. You can call me a lazy practical cook, as I like to take short cuts while cooking. As a matter of fact, I’m constantly thinking about how to maximize the efficiency of whatever I do (now don’t ask me if I’m successful in increasing the efficiency of everything I do, but it works may be 50% of the time---for the other 50% I say to myself “there’s nothing wrong in trying”).

Gutti Vankaya Kura4

For example, I wash my dishes while sautéing onions. I don’t like babysitting my dishes, but I know a lot of people who would stir and hover around the stove until the onions turn translucent, then red, then brown. I don’t have time for that.
Well anyway coming back to the gutti vankaya curry, I’ve never actually stuffed the eggplants before; I cook the pieces in the gravy and call it a day. The fact of the matter is, when you are eating you eat the piece with the gravy anyway, so why spend time on the stuffing part.

Eggplants
But this past weekend, I bought these tiny eggplants that were begging to be stuffed. I couldn’t turn my back on these beauties, so I succumbed and made this awesome stuffed eggplant curry.

It did take some time to cook the dish, but I thought the end result was worth the effort – at least in the looks category. May be I’ll try stuffing if the vegetable really forces me to; otherwise I’m back to my quick & easy route.
Gutti Vankaya Kura

Here’s how I made it:
Ingredients:
Baby eggplants – 12, washed and dried
Tamarind pulp – 1tbsp
Salt – to taste

For the masala:
Roasted Peanuts – ½ cup
Sesame seeds – ¼ cup, dry roasted until golden
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Coriander seeds – 1tbsp
Cloves – 4
Cinnamon stick – 1” piece
Dry red chilies – 6

Method:

  • Make a “X” cut on the bottom of the eggplant, about 3/4th of the way up, making sure that the eggplant still holds together and does not become pieces. Keep aside. 
  • Dry roast the ingredients listed under masala and grind along with tamarind pulp, salt and a few drops of water to make a smooth, thick paste. 
  • Gently open the eggplants and stuff the masala inside. Continue doing it for the remaining eggplants. Set any remaining stuffing to the side as this will be used to make the gravy for the dish. 
  • Heat 2tbsp oil in a sauté pan; arrange the stuffed eggplants in the pan. Cook covered on medium low heat until eggplants are about ¾th cooked. 
  • Add ½ cup of water to the left over masala and pour it into the pan, cover and cook until the sauce is bubbly and the eggplants are cooked all the way through. 
  • Check seasonings and serve. 
Gutti Vankaya Kura2

This dish is usually served with steamed white rice, but I served with some pongal (khichdi) and it was DELICIOUS.

Gutti Vankaya Kura1

Have a great Work Week everyone.

Signature

18 comments:

  1. Looks delicious...love this n pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woww. this is a very popular dish.. i have had this at my friends place :) Love it.. Look so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW !! My God,your Vankaya kura has dragged me here from reader..It's totally tempting and enjoyed reading you..Haha..you are such a jovial person.I would love to try this soon..!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aha emi ruchi anara maimarachi!!!!! i just remembered that song dear after peeping in!!!! looks yumm!!!

    looks yumm!!!!
    Good Food Recipes
    Food Blog News

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slurrp yummy brinjal curry...perfect with hot rice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb looking curry..looks delicious n yumm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice pics...
    This is one of my fav curry. Although mine has more gravy, you can check out my version in my blog.

    -Spandana
    http://www.cooklikemom.net/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even I look for shortcuts when cooking. Gutti vankaya kura looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So authentic :) Dad loves brinjals. Will make this for him as a surprise :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. stunning pics of one of my fav recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks SO good - I lived in South India last year, and have been craving this dish since I left. I'm off to the farmer's market this morning to buy me some eggplant! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious - can smell the fragrant spices through your pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. pavani ,

    i followed your recipe with few modifications and tried with microwave.it came out well.
    check here
    http://healthy-transition.blogspot.com/2012/07/easy-gutthi-vankaya-stuffed-eggplant.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious and my all time favorite..


    -Mythreyi
    Yum! Yum! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so delicious recipe of Gutti Vankaya Kura in an Andhra Style Recipes, So yummy... Thanks for giving out an easy making procedure which looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice post!Please feel free to check my new blog
    http://www.yummiliciousrecipes.com/
    Dont forget to subscribe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips