Cook's Hideout: Chukkakura Pappu

July 12, 2011

Chukkakura Pappu

For the very first time this year, I planted couple of leafy greens, spinach (palakura) and sorrel spinach (chukkakura), in my container garden.

Chukkakura

My mom sent the seeds from India and I was pleasantly surprised that the greens started to grow within a week and were ready for harvesting in less than 3 weeks.

Chukkakura1

It has been ages that I had chukkakura pappu (dal), so one call to Amma and in 10 minutes I was I making this healthy & delicious with my first harvest. Chukkakura has a slight tangy taste and tastes great in dals and chutneys.

Ingredients:
Toor dal – 1 cup
Chukkakura (Sorrel spinach) – 2 cups, finely chopped (fine stems can be chopped up too)
Onion – 1 medium, chopped
Tomato – 2, finely chopped
Green chilies – 2, slit
Red chili powder – ½ tsp
Turmeric – ¼ tsp
Salt – to taste

For tempering:
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Dry red chilies – 1, broken into half
Hing (asafetida) – a pinch
Curry leaves – 8

Chukkakura2
Method:
  • Cook toor dal in a pressure cooker until very soft and mushy. Keep aside.
  • In a medium sauce pan, heat 2tsp oil, add the tempering ingredients in the order listed and once the seeds start to splutter, add onions and green chilies. Sauté until onions are translucent.
  • Next add chopped tomatoes, cover and cook till they turn mushy.
  • Next add the chopped sorrel spinach and cook till the leaves wilt.
  • Add red chili powder and salt.
  • Finally add the cooked dal, mix well and simmer for 3-4 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Add water if dal seems too thick while cooking.
Chukkakura pappu

Serve with hot steamed rice and a dry curry of choice. I served with some vankaya kura (eggplant curry). Comforting meal any time of the day.



Sending this over to Aipi's "Bookmarked Recipes-Every Tuesday" event.





Signature

10 comments:

  1. One of my fav green..its been ages I had it..love its dal and chutney as well...looks yumm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, lovely daal n so fresh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the post title I was thinking I should ask you where you got chukkakura.. It has been ages since I ate chukkakura and even if they sell it out here in the USA, I don;t think I will be able to identify these greens.

    Dal looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cooking with fresh greens from our own garden is more satisfying..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing your own ingredient takes a dish to a whole different level ~ doesn't it! Love the simplicity of the dish.
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your fresh home-grown greens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love greens anytime. So comforting and healthy.

    Vardhini
    Event: Fast food not Fat food

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips