Summer is HERE in our neck of woods. We have heat wave advisory for the next 3 days with temperatures reaching upto100°F (38°C). It’s nothing when compared to Indian temperature standards but we got so used to the weather here that anything above 35°F is scorching and makes us run for cover.
But summer brings the yummy tropical fruits and veggies, so instead of complaining I just try to enjoy the warm weather and the bounty of treats it brings. We picked up a case of mangoes from our local Indian grocery and after enjoying them as is; I still had some left that needed to used up. Google brought me to this upside down cake and the picture was too tempting, so I had to try it right away.
It was a perfect tea cake, fresh, nutty, not too sweet and quick and easy to make. I had to change the amount/ quantity of ingredients since the recipe used a 6” cake pan and I only have a 8” cake pan. I also substituted macadamia nuts with cashews since I didn’t them.
Mangoes – 2 medium, peeled and thinly sliced (I diced my mangoes, but thinly slicing would make for a prettier cake)
Lemon juice – 1½tbsp
Light Brown Sugar – ¼ cup
Butter – 1½tbsp, melted
Cashews – 3tbsp, chopped
For the Cake batter:
Butter – 3tbsp, softened
Sugar – 1/3 cup
Egg – 1, lightly beaten
All-purpose flour – 1 cup
Baking powder – ¾ tsp
Ground cardamom (elaichi) – ½tsp
Salt – ¼tsp
Milk – 1/3 cup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 8” round cake pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine mango and lemon juice.
- Combine brown sugar and butter and sprinkle evenly in the cake pan. Arrange the mango slices and sprinkle the nuts. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and elaichi in a bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg until incorporated.
- Add half of the flour mixture and whisk until incorporated, next add half of the milk and mix well. Repeat with remaining flour & milk.
- Pour the batter evenly over the prepared mangoes.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes, before inverting onto a plate.