My son absolutely loves Carrots. He can eat carrot all day everyday (this is right now, I’m not sure how his taste is going to change tomorrow). So I’ve started adding carrots in everything, pasta sauce, dal, curries and yes even in rice dishes; much to the discontent of my DH, but the little one’s preferences come first.. right?????
This dish is a clean up the fridge kind of a recipe and it tasted pretty good the next day for lunch.
Basmati Rice – 2 cups, cooked
Onion – 1 medium, chopped
Carrots – 2 medium, chopped into ½” pieces
Frozen Spinach – 1 cup, thawed
Tomatoes – ½ lb (I used about 10 cherry tomatoes)
Green chilies – 2, slit lengthwise
Bisibele bath masala – 2tsp (I used homemade masala)
Roasted peanuts – 3tbsp
Salt – to taste
Mustard & Cumin seeds – 1tsp each
Curry leaves – 8-10
Serve with papad and chips. Great for lunchboxes too.
- Cook rice and keep aside to cool.
- In a sauté pan, heat 2 tbsp oil and add tadka ingredients; once the seeds start to splutter add onions and green chilies. Sauté till onion turn translucent.
- Add carrots and roasted peanuts; cover and cook till carrots are tender.
- Now add the spinach, tomatoes, salt and the masala; cover and cook till tomatoes turn mushy.
- Check the seasonings and add the veggie mixture to rice. Mix well without mushing the rice. Mix some lemon juice if you like.