Cook's Hideout: JFI-Potato

February 28, 2007

JFI-Potato

This month’s ingredient for JFI is our family favorite – potato and is being hosted by lovely Vaishali from her kitchen in Pune. I can’t imagine cooking without potato, most of you would probably agree with me on that. It can easily be dressed up or down, be it the simple potato fry (bhaji) or the more fancy Dum aloo Kashmiri; no other vegetable draws in such a crowd or flavor. I don’t want to go on and on about the sugunas (excellent quality) of potatoes, as you all know them very well.
So here’s my entry, Oven Roasted Potatoes with cheese sauce. This is an extremely simple dish, quick to make and can be served any meal of the day.

Ingredients:
Potatoes - 3, thoroughly cleaned and scrubbed
Herbe de province or Italian seasoning– 2 tbsp
Salt and pepper – to taste

For the cheese sauce:
Butter – 1 tbsp
Flour – 1 tbsp
Milk (low fat) – 1 cup
Cheddar or Monterey or Pepper Jack cheese (low fat) – 1 cup grated
Tomato paste – 1 tbsp

Method:
  • To make the fries: Preheat oven to 400ºF. Cut potatoes into long wedges. Spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet (I cover my baking sheet with an aluminum foil for easy clean up). Spray with non stick cooking spray and add the herbs, salt and pepper. Toss lightly with your fingers and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are crispy tender. Don’t forget to stir them once in between for uniform browning.
  • Mean while make the cheese sauce. Melt butter in a saucepan, whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes or until the flour loses the raw smell.
  • Add tomato paste and mix well to incorporate into the roux. Slowly whisk in the milk, making sure there are no lumps formed in the sauce.
  • Bring the milk to a gentle simmer, add salt and pepper to taste and stir in the cheese. Let the cheese melt, remove and keep aside.
When the fries are ready, liberally douse with cheese sauce and serve hot.

18 comments:

  1. Yum yum. looks like chat with a mexican nacho twist:) Great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potatoes fries look delicious...oh man all the blogs are filled with potatoes and I am already tempted to cook something with potato...Nice entry
    -Sushma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love oven roasted potatoes and the cheese sauce would just elevate it to the next level! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oven baked potatoes are just loved by my hubby and loved your cheese sauce. Gonna surely top it with cheese sauce next time.
    Thanx

    ReplyDelete
  5. As the last date for the entry to JFI is today I can see lots of lovely potato recipes everywhere.I have posted one too. I love oven roasted potatoes and urs look wonderful with cheese sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter loves this but with those horrible cheese which comes out of that little plastic containers at the gas stations on Doritos!EW..;D
    I will try this for an authentic cheese sauce and get her off of that stuff.Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so yummy, Pavani! A wonderful comfort food and a great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks sinfully good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats a yummy treat. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi pavani,
    Dish looks superb!!! Kids friendly dish. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking recipe! I love Cheese sauce...in moderation, of course!


    trupti

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Pavani,

    Those potatoes look really good. Thanks for the recipe. BTW, just wanted to let you know that I have finally posted the MeMe you had tagged me. I dont know who else to tag it to, though! Will have to check.

    Cheers,
    Nav

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pavani,your potato dish sounds geat.Wish I could have a glimpse of the sauce as well.But will definitely try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I almost started to lick the cheese sauce!!!!! ;)

    That is great!!!!! A Must try1!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Completely agree with you that potatoes are the all-time favourite and handy vegetable to have in the kitchen. Potatoes roasted in the oven themselves bring a flavour that is most appetising - over and above that the fact that there is so much melted cheese in it! YUM is the only word for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi,
    Am Laxmi, Moderator of the Indusladies website. Since there is no contact mail id, am posting it in the general section here.
    www.IndusLadies.com is a global online community and discussion board for Indian ladies. We currently have 4000+ members, 15,000 unique visitors per day and 400,000 page views per month. We are interested in a link exchange with your site. Contact me at
    laxmi.indus@gmail.com Look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hmmmm I love potatoes. Nice and delicious recipe.

    cheers
    sharmi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips