Cook's Hideout: D for Dal Moghlai

February 16, 2007

D for Dal Moghlai

This is my entry to Nupur’s A-Z of Indian vegetables series. Dal is the quintessential comfort food for all Indians. Be it the tangy-spicy sambar or plain old tadka dal, no Indian thali is complete without dal. This recipe is from Tarla Dalal’s recipe newsletter. I love my lentils and make sure that I make a big pot of dal (like soup) every weekend that will last at least 2-3 days. That way all I have to worry about during weeknights is making a subzi (curry) and rice.

Ingredients:
Toor dal – ¾ cup
Chana dal – ¼ cup
Bottle gourd (doodhi/ lauki/ sorakaya) – 2 cups, peeled and chopped into big pieces
Tomatoes – 1 cup, chopped
Turmeric – ¼ tsp
Onion – ¾ cup, chopped
Garlic – 2 cloves, chopped fine
Ginger – 1 tsp, minced
Green chilies – 5
Salt – to taste

Method:
  • Clean, wash and soak the dals for about 30 minutes. Drain.
  • Add the tomatoes, bottle gourd, turmeric, salt and 3 cups water to the dals and pressure cook till the dals are tender.
  • Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and when the seeds crackle, add the ginger, garlic, green chilies and onions and sauté till the onions are golden brown in color.
  • Add the cooked dal and 1 cup water to the onions and bring to a boil.
Serve with steaming hot rice for a wholesome meal.

9 comments:

  1. when my son was 2/3 years old. I asked Doctor to give hime som tonic. Doctor told me to give him Dal Bhat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dish for 'D'!!I missed the deadline this time for this event ,may be next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely entry for the event! I love the combination of dals and veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pavani,

    I like to cook big pots of soup, dal etc on the weekend too -- yours looks easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dal looks delicious. Dal is my all-time comfort food and I'm always looking for new recipes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks really delicious. If only I can grab it from the computer, I would have enjoyed this for today's lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A basic dal dish, very similar to anapakaya pappu, Pavani. Simple and comforting. Arent all dals dishes comforting?!-:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dal look so warm and comforting. I love all kinds of Dal and thanks for this

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey Pavani,looks like I missed a lot of your posts too!dal looks delicious.Will give it a try soon.will go through your other recipes and post comments soon!:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips