Cook's Hideout: Vegan Curried Eggless 'Egg' Salad

August 11, 2013

Vegan Curried Eggless 'Egg' Salad

Blogging Marathon# 31: Week 2/ Day 2
Theme: Meatless Dishes
Dish: Vegetarian Curried 'Egg' Salad
Day 2 of BM# 31 and today I'm remaking my favorite Egg salad into a meatless dish. There are a ton of recipes that use only tofu, but the tricky part of making good eggless egg salad is getting the creaminess right. Egg yolks give that creaminess and using only tofu might make the salad too dry.
For those of you who never tasted Egg salad, it is a mayonnaise based salad with chopped boiled eggs and then seasoned and flavored as per taste. I think the first time I ate an egg salad was during my Masters while working at the deli. The owner used to make me an egg salad sandwich on rye bread with all the fixings and it was super yummy!! I've peeled a zillion eggs during my stint at the deli and learnt how to make a good egg salad too. But today it's about this eggless tofu salad :-)
Vegan Curried Eggless 'Egg' Salad
So when I found this recipe that uses pureed chickpeas I knew this would be a winner. The pureed chickpeas mimic real yolk in both texture and taste. The only thing I would do differently next time is not to pulse tofu in the food processor. I think I like bit more texture to my salad and I would break tofu into bigger chunks rather than pulse to crumbles the next time I make this salad.
I was a little skeptical how the taste would be since we are using raw tofu here, but I have to say I really enjoyed it. It's almost close to the real egg salad (which by the way is one of my favorite ways to enjoy eggs). I like some onion action in my egg salad, so I went ahead and added some in this tofu version as well. But feel free to add caramelized onions (like I did in this egg salad) or celery or anything other flavorings to this basic recipe to jazz it up.
Vegan Curried Eggless 'Egg' Salad
Serve it as a filling for sandwich or put a spoonful on crackers or top it on a bed of lettuce, this salad is great eaten any which way. Enjoy!!
Vegan Curried Eggless 'Egg' Salad
Recipe adapted from the Pig & Quill
Ingredients:
Extra firm Tofu - 8 oz. (~ half of a 16oz. package)
Chickpeas - ¾cup, rinsed and drained (half of a 16oz. can)
Mayonnaise - 3tbsp (or more for creamier salad) -- Use Veganaise to make the salad vegan
Curry powder - 1-2tsp (as per taste)
Chili powder - 1tsp
Red onion - 1 small, finely diced
Salt & Pepper - to taste

Method:
  • Drain tofu and wrap it in paper towels and/ or kitchen towel and let it drain for at least 20-30 minutes.
  • In the meantime, blend chickpeas, mayonnaise, curry powder, chili powder, salt and pepper into a almost smooth paste.
  • In a medium bowl, crumble tofu with a fork into desired size. You can pulse in the food processor also. 
  • Add the chickpea puree, chopped red onion to the crumbed tofu and mix gently to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly. If you have time, chill the salad for a little bit before serving.
I had this eggless tofu salad as a sandwich on a Wheat thin roll topped with baby spinach and tomato. 
Vegan Curried Eggless 'Egg' Salad
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 31.
Signature

17 comments:

  1. Pavani, I enjoyed all your meatless recipes..I am almost thinking I should request you to make more for ppl like me. If you ask me I would've been clueless...this eggless salad looks so much like egg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious and healthy salad, nice presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Thanks so much for trying out The Pig & Quill's eggless egg salad recipe - sounds like we're both sticklers for capturing the dual texture thing. :) Love the photos, too. Beautiful! - Em

    ReplyDelete
  4. eggless salad looks very healthy and yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg, am loving ur meatless dishes Pavani, u came with super different dishes. Stunning, this curried eggless egg salad, prefect colour,loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great idea to use the chickpeas. I would never have thought of that

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely made - looks very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the texture sis and no one can find this is eggless one.super.love to grab that

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome Pavani. This looks just like the eggs.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great eggless salad that looks like really made with egg !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious vegan food, like this eggless egg salad, is one reason why the number of vegans has doubled in less than 3 years. Here are two uplifting videos that will help people understand just some of the implications of this lifestyle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKr4HZ7ukSE and http://www.veganvideo.org

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great eggless salad. Love your clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a smart was to use chickpeas. Looks lovely and luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious... looks yummy... and great veggie recipes

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow.. That's just awesome dish..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the chickpeas in the salad! shall try it out some time

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved the name:-)..beautiful clicks!!!1

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips