Blogging Marathon# 66: Week 1/ Day 3
Theme: 3 Veggies that are Fruit
Dish: Vankaya Perugu Pachadi
For the final day of this week's theme '3 veggies that are fruit', I have a dish made with eggplant -- you know I can't miss an opportunity to try and post a new recipe with my favorite veggie. I watched this yogurt based eggplant dish being made on a Telugu cooking show.
Vankaya Perugu PachadiIngredients:
- 1 Small Eggplant
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 2~3 Green Chilies, finely chopped
- 1 cup Yogurt, whisked well
- 2tsp Oil
- 1tsp Mustard seeds
- 1tsp Chana dal
- 1/2tsp Urad dal
- 1~2 Dry red chilies
- A pinch Asafoetida/ Hing
- ¼tsp Turmeric
- 8~10 Curry Leaves
- To taste Salt
- Roast the eggplant until tender inside and the outside is blistered either directly on the stove or in the oven (at 425F for 30~35 minutes). Let cool slightly, peel and coarsely chop the flesh.
- In a pan, heat oil, add the mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, red chilies and asafoetida. Once the seeds start to splutter, add curry leaves, green chilies, turmeric and the chopped onion.
- Once the onion turns slightly soft, add salt and turn off the heat. Stir in the chopped roasted eggplant and mix well.
- Finally add the whisked yogurt and mix well. Adjust the seasoning and serve with rice or roti.