Cook's Hideout: Zucchini Dry Curry (Zucchini Pesarapappu Podi Kura)

February 17, 2015

Zucchini Dry Curry (Zucchini Pesarapappu Podi Kura)

Blogging Marathon# 49: Week 3/ Day 1
Theme: 1 Vegetable - 3 Dishes
Dish: Dry Curry -- Zucchini Pesarapappu Iguru
My theme for this week of blogging marathon is to 'Pick 1 veggie and make 3 dishes with it'. I had to think really hard on what vegetable to choose and after a lot of internal deliberations, I zeroed on Zucchini. Zucchini, courgette, green squash a staple along with potatoes and tomatoes in my kitchen and I thought this is a good opportunity to post some recipes that I frequently make at home.
Zucchini Dry Curry (Zucchini Pesarapappu Podi Kura)
Zucchini is available almost all year round and I make sure to buy them whenever I see some good looking ones. They are pretty bland by themselves and I almost always use them along with other veggies -- roasted or stewed with eggplant and peppers. It is very versatile vegetable and can be used to bake bread, cake and cupcakes too.
Zucchini Dry Curry (Zucchini Pesarapappu Podi Kura)
If I have to compare zucchini to any Indian vegetable, then I would have to say it tastes like ridge gourd (beerakaya) with somewhat (but not really) bottle gourd or lauki's (sorakaya) texture. So for the next 3 days, I have tried to use zucchini in 3 Indian flavored dishes.
First up is a dry zucchini curry with moong dal and coconut. Being a water vegetable, zucchini oozes out water while cooking, so to make sure that the curry doesn't get too soggy, salt it right before turning off the heat. This curry is mildly spiced and can be served with both rice and roti.

IngredientsServes 2~3
Zucchini - 2 medium, chopped
Moong dal - ¼cup 
Fresh or Dry grated coconut - 3tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Chana dal - 1tsp
Urad dal - 1tsp
Dry red chilies - 2
Green chilies - 1~2, slit
Curry leaves - 8~10
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Soak moong dal in some water for at least 20~30 minutes. Drain and keep ready.
  • Heat 1tbsp oil in a saute pan, add chana, urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds,  dry red chilies and curry leaves. 
  • Once the seeds start to splutter, add the chopped zucchini, green chilies and drained moong dal. Mix well, cover the pan and cook on medium-low flame until both zucchini and moong dal is tender, about 8~10 minutes.
  • Once the zucchini is tender, add the grated coconut and season with salt. Mix well and cook for another 2~3 minutes. Serve hot with rice or rotis.
Zucchini Dry Curry (Zucchini Pesarapappu Podi Kura)
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 49
Signature

10 comments:

  1. I love your props Pavani, though we do get it here in India, zucchinis are quite expensive and I haven't really found myself wanting to try it..nice dish..looking forward to check out more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple and tasty stir-fry. i make kootu with zucchini, but this is new to me! Looks very colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice way to use zucchini! As usual awesome pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one Pavani. I use moongdal too in curries but in a small quantity. Your version makes the dish protein rich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wat a nutritious and very delicious dry curry, can have simply with a bowl of rice and papads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good one. Must be tasting good with roti.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nutritious. Love the props..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your condiments containers and the skillet! Lovely recipe with zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use zucchini regularly in dry and gravy curries.But never used it with dal.Amazing setup and wonderful clicks..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips