Cook's Hideout: Gujarati Khichdi

February 03, 2015

Gujarati Khichdi

Blogging Marathon# 49: Week 1/ Day 1
Theme: Weekend Brunch Recipes
Dish: Gujarati Khichdi
My theme for the first week of this month's marathon is 'Brunch Recipes'. Brunch should be hearty and filling, but not too filling that it is going to make you take an early afternoon nap. Also since we are skipping breakfast to eat brunch, it should be nutritious enough to keep you going and charged for at least 3~4 hours. 
With all those in mind, here's a one pot dish that is sure to keep you full and energized until the next meal. Being a south Indian, I grew up eating rice for just about all the meals. Breakfast could be anything like lemon rice, tamarind rice, curd rice or pongal and that used to keep us full till lunch. But nowadays eating rice for breakfast or even brunch has become quite a rarity in my household.
Gujarati Khichdi
As I was thinking of Indian dishes to make for brunch, khichdi came to my mind right away. It has dal (lentils) for protein and rice for carbs, which in my mind is perfect dish for any time of day. I found this Gujarati Khichdi recipe in Sanjeev Kapoor's Vegetarian Rice, Biryani & pulao cookbook.

Gujarati Khichdi
This khichdi uses toor dal instead of moong dal (which is widely used in the south Indian version of this dish) and has veggies, potato and eggplant, too. I skipped eggplant because I didn't have any (strange, I know) and cooked this in the pressure cooker instead of in an open pot. My favorite part of this dish has to be the fried onions added on top of the khichdi, it adds a lot of flavor to the dish, so don't skip that step.
Gujarati Khichdi
Ingredients: Serves 2~3
Rice - 1cup
Toor dal - ½cup 
Onion - 1 large, thinly sliced
Ginger - 1" piece, finely grated
Garlic - 2 cloves, finely minced
Green Chilies - 2~3, slit
Potatoes - 2 medium, peeled and chopped
Eggplant - 3 medium, quartered (optional)
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Cinnamon stick - 2 1" sticks
Cloves - 4
Black Peppercorns - 5~6
Turmeric - ½tsp
Salt - to taste

For the Seasoning:
Cumin seeds - ½tsp
Onion - 1 large, thinly sliced
Garlic cloves - 2~3, finely chopped

Method:

  • Soak rice and dal separately for at least ½hour. Drain and set aside until ready to use.
  • Heat 2tbsp ghee in a heavy bottomed pan or a pressure cooker; add the cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves and peppercorns; saute till fragrant, about 30~60 seconds.
  • Add the onions and cook for 2~3 minutes. Add the ginger paste, garlic paste and green chilies; cook for another 1~2 minutes.
  • Add the potatoes and salt.
  • Add the rice, dal, turmeric and 3~3½cups of water and bring to a boil. 
  • Cover and cook over medium heat till half done.
  • Stir in the eggplant and continue to cook over low heat till done. I cooked in my pressure cooker and I skipped the addition of eggplant and let the rice & dal cook for 2~3 whistles.
  • For the Seasoning: Heat 1tbsp ghee in a saute pan, add the cumin seeds and once they start to splutter, add onions and garlic. Cook till the onions turn golden, about 6~8 minutes.
  • Pour the fried onions over the cooked khichdi and cover immediately. Cook on dum for 5~7 minutes. Serve hot with a pickle and/ or yogurt.
Gujarati Khichdi
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 49
Signature

12 comments:

  1. Very tempting platter there pavani! Me too a khicdi person any time!!! I love to cook in open pot, as i want the rice and dal separate and soft at the same time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice flavourful one pot meal ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eggplant in kichdi is something new I am learning today and you not having eggplant in house is just not possible. Jokes aside, this kichdi is very different and I would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Living in Gujarat this has become a regular feature in our kitchen . We love khichdi and yours looks perfectly made, a delicious meal, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yumm.. never tried adding these veggies in kichadai. But a great way to sneak in vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Khichadi is a weekend brunch staple in our house. Should try the fried onions next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfectly made and presented as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can survive for many days with this ultimate khichdi, inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  9. An interesting khichdi, must try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eggplant Pavani thats new to me and so also fried onions. Will try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At first I thought it was poha. :) As you mentioned this is one quick and filling dish.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips