This is a super simple curry that I made couple of months ago after I harvested a bunch of amaranth leaves from my container garden. I asked my mom what to cook with the greens and she gave me this recipe that she saw on one of the Telugu cooking shows.
Thotakura (Amaranth Leaves) - 1 bunch, chopped
Vadiyalu (sundried lentil wafers) - 1/4 cup
Green chilies - 2
Curry leaves - 8-10
Chana dal - 1tsp
Urad dal - 1tsp
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Dry red chili - 1
Salt - to taste
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a saute pan; roast the vadiyalu until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and dry red chili. Once the seeds start to splutter, add curry leaves and green chilies. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add chopped amaranth leaves/ thotakura and cook covered for 4~5 minutes or until wilted and tender.
- Add salt and cook for 1 more minute.
- Finally stir in the roasted vadiyalu, mix well and turn off the heat.
- Serve with steamed rice and dal of choice.
Linking this curry to Valli's December edition of 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge'.