Cook's Hideout: Broccoli & Corn Stuffed Parathas

January 11, 2013

Broccoli & Corn Stuffed Parathas

Under the theme, "Stuffed Breads", Valli wanted us to make a stuffed roti/ paratha with a twist. The twist can be the use of a vegetable or a spice that is not usually used in the parathas. So my twist is the use of broccoli and corn in the stuffing.

I had a ton of ideas for the stuffing, but when I thought of the combination corn and broccoli, I actually patted myself on the back for coming up with this delicious idea. Finally when we made the parathas, they tasted awesome, soft, slightly spicy and delicious. I used fresh sweet corn that are sweet and juicy, but the parathas were not too sweet because of the spices and chilies that I added. Corn made the parathas very soft and absolutely addictive.

I consider my mom as the best roti/ paratha maker ever. She makes the whole roti making process look so simple and easy. She makes the softest rotis and pulkas with the same atta (wholewheat flour) that I use, but mine end up being crispy and brittle most of the time. Now I can't even blame the flour for my papad like rotis--thanks to you Amma :-)

 
Ingredients:
For the dough:
Atta (wholewheat flour) - 2cups
Oil - 2tsp
Salt - to taste

For the Stuffing:
Broccoli florets - 2cups
Sweet corn kernels - 1cup
Green chilies - 3, adjust according to your taste
Ginger - 1" piece
Garam Masala - ½tsp
Aamchoor - ¼tsp
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Make the Dough: Combine atta and salt. Add lukewarm water and knead into a smooth pliable dough. Cover and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
  • Make the Filling: In a food processor, add broccoli, corn, green chilies and ginger. Process until finely chopped. Heat 1tsp oil in a saute pan; add the veggie mixture along with the spices and salt; cook on medium low heat until cooked through, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Divide and roll the filling into 8-10 equal balls. Divide the dough into 8-10 equal portions too.
  • Cook the Parathas: Preheat a tawa or griddle on medium high heat. Roll out the dough into 3" circle, place the filling in the center; fold and cover the filling with the dough and roll it out into 6" round circle using flour if needed.
  • Cook on the preheated griddle until brown spots form, flip and cook on the other side until cooked through. Brush with oil if desired. Keep covered until ready to serve.
Serve with raita or pickle. I served with onion-tomato raita, inspired from Suma's recipe here.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 24.
Signature

8 comments:

  1. Delicious! Love the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, same here. Rotis like papads! But these look nice and soft :). You can try with sweet potatoes too for real soft rotis.

    Nice and different idea of using corn and broccoli!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rotis looks perfect besides being nutritious.
    I think resting the flour for at least a couple of hours will give you soft rotis. I have seen that when I try to make rotis instantly after the dough preparation, they tend to be not softer.
    And if that raita is my version, thanks for trying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dunno y i never thought of this combo for stuffing,must try this paratha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unique combination of healthy stuffing.. Parathas look so delicious and packed with nutrition..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really there a twist in that filling.Never thought of combining broccoli and corn or using broccoli in filling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love filling - I sometimes make quiche with this veggie combo

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh this screams healthy!!! nice combination and so delicious!!
    Sowmya
    Ongoing Event - Breakfast
    Ongoing Event - Tried and Tasted - Raks Kitchen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips