Cook's Hideout: Cabbage-Chana dal Curry

November 04, 2012

Cabbage-Chana dal Curry

For day 3 of BM# 22, Cooking with Chickpeas, I have a dish that uses Chana dal, Senagapappu (in telugu).  My mom made this curry with cabbage, but this can be made with green beans, cluster beans or even spinach. A very healthy and delicious side dish for rice or roti.

Cabbage - 4 cups, finely chopped
Chana dal - ½ cup
Green chilies - 3, slit
Coconut, grated - 2tbsp (fresh or frozen)
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Dry red chilies - 2
Curry leaves - 6-8
Salt - to taste

  • Pressure cook chana dal for 1-2 whistles or until cooked but still intact (dal should not turn mushy for a dry curry). Keep aside.
  • Heat 2tsp oil in a saute pan, add the seeds and once they start to splutter  add the green chilies and cabbage. Cover and cook until cabbage is cooked through and tender, about 10-12 minutes.
  • Next add the cooked dal, grated coconut and salt. Cook for another minute and serve.
This is a very quick curry to make. The only time consuming part is chopping cabbage.

Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up for BM# 22.



  1. Adding cabbage to chana dal brings a different to dish. Good one.

  2. Serve me this curry with a bowl of rice and hot piping rasam,i can have it even everyday.

  3. simple and very homey dish!! love the combination of cabbage and channa dal!
    Ongoing Event - CWF - Whole Wheat Flour

  4. One of my favorite....looks yummy....

  5. i think cabbage is an under appreciated vegetable - I would def. have this any time

  6. not sure whether I understand it clearly, but i guess u used chickpeas and not bengal gram right? either ways the cabbage side dish looks fabulously tempting

  7. Very delicious pictures crisp and clear..


Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips