Cook's Hideout: Palakura Pesarapappu/ Moong dal with spinach

June 22, 2009

Palakura Pesarapappu/ Moong dal with spinach

This is one of the simplest and tastiest dal recipes. I usually make spinach dal with toor dal and add either tomato or tamarind to make it slightly tangy. But for this dal, I kept it simple and you can the leafy spinach and the slight sweetness of moong dal; tadka with garlic completes the dish.


Ingredients:
Moong dal – 1 cup
Spinach – 1 cup, chopped fine
Green chilies – 3 Onion – 1 small, chopped

For Popu/ tadka:
Urad dal – ½ tsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Curry leaves – 6
Garlic – 1 clove, minced


Method:
  • Pressure cook dal with spinach, onion and green chili for 3-4 whistles.
  • In a small saucepan, heat 1tsp oil, add the popu ingredients and once the seeds start to splutter, add it to the dal; mix well and enjoy with rice or roti.


This is my entry Cooking For Kids-Leafy Greens being hosted on this blog. Don't forget to send in your entries before June 30th.










Signature

10 comments:

  1. Love the combo,my fav:)
    lovely clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy! Nice closeup click!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With rice, that isjust whati call comfort food and delcious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely palak dal! My favourite with rotis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have this with rice or roti, simple and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pavani, this really does look simple and delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe-- I love those easy-to-put-together meals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there,

    I came across your blog and saw that you enjoy healthy cooking and experimenting with new recipes. Stonyfield Farm makes Oikos Organic Greek yogurt which can be used in a variety of ways while cooking – in baking, as a substitute for sour cream and mayonnaise, in dips and sauces and to create tasty low-fat dishes. Greek yogurt is strained, making it thicker and more versatile in recipes than regular yogurt. Oikos is organic, which means it's made without artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners, and it's made from organic milk produced without the use of toxic persistent pesticides, chemical fertilizers, antibiotics, or artificial growth hormones (rBST). We feel that organic is not only better for you, but better for the planet as well.

    I would love to send you coupons for Oikos to give it a try. If you're interested, just send me an email at KDrociak@stonyfield.com and let me know where to send them.

    Take care,
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried with garlic before. I should try it this way next time. Nice one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Comfort food for me and Nutritious to boot!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips