Cook's Hideout: My Container Garden & Eggplant Sandwich

June 20, 2009

My Container Garden & Eggplant Sandwich

My container garden is doing pretty good except for the two tomato plants and squash have practically overgrown the pot, but I'm going to risk it for this summer and leave them in there. Lesson for next season is to buy some bigger pots. Here are a few pictures.



Mint

Cherry Tomatoes

Cayenne Pepper

Grilled Eggplant Sandwich:
I had a roasted eggplant sandwich with sautéed spinach, roasted red peppers and provolone cheese called “Aunt Nina’s Sandwich” in a small Italian Café type place recently. Though the sandwich itself was very bland, I liked the combination of ingredients. So I tried to recreate it at home; I used Ciabatta bread and spread store-bought pesto on it and I have to say I liked my sandwich much better than the original.


Ingredients:
Eggplant – 1 medium, cut into ½” thick pieces
Spinach – 2 cups, chopped
Roasted red peppers, canned – 3 slices, cut into strips
Pesto – ¼ cup
Monterey Jack cheese – 4 slices thinly cut

Method:
  • Heat a stove-top grill pan (or use outdoor grille) on medium high; Spray lightly with cooking spray and grill eggplants until grill marks are formed and the pieces are cooked through, about 4-5 minutes each side.
  • Remove and keep aside.
  • In the meantime sauté spinach with 1 clove garlic and season with salt & pepper. Keep aside.
  • Drain and pat dry roasted red peppers; cut into thin strips.
  • To assemble; spread about 1tbsp pesto on the bread halves. Arrange 3-4 eggplant pieces on the bottom half of the bread. Scatter spinach and red peppers; arrange 2 cheese slices. Cover with the top half of the bread. Press lightly and enjoy.
This sandwich is off to Priya (@ Easy n Tasty Recipes) for her AFAM-Bell Peppers Event. AFAM is the brainchild of Maheshwari. Thank you Priya for reminding me of AFAM.
Signature

13 comments:

  1. Your container garden looks very very healthy ! the mints and tomatoes and pepper .. good growing !
    i like the addition of eggplants..must have tasted heavenly.. the bread looks so nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish i had some place to plant herb, eggplant sandwich looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love your container garden. It looks very healthy. What type of fertilizer do you use? Thanks in advance.

    Radha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your container garden. Looks very nice :) How great it would be to have something fresh from your own garden! Loved the sandwich too. Lovely combo of ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!The garden looks so vibrant, loved the sandwich too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ur garden reminded me of my garden back home,lovely container garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is a beautiful smal garden you have got there.
    I think next year i should do something like this too.
    Lovve the sandwitches, they are bursting with good flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow ur garden looks too green, really pleasant to eyes...Lovely sandwich, if u r interested do send ur eggplant sandwich as u used bell peppers since am hosting AFAM-bellpeppers as theme..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great container garden! Everything looks like It's thriving! The sandwich looks awesome, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice garden...Nice addition of eggplant for sandwich..

    ReplyDelete
  11. your garden looks too green.. wonderful photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful and healthy garden! I've made a similar sandwich several times in the past. Looks awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear pavani,
    Your kitchen garden is such an inspiration. I love the way your camera has captured the shade of green in the garden. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips