Ok I said I don’t like burritos with tortillas, but I do like tacos with tortillas :-). My tacos are made with soy meat, but you can definitely use crumble tofu or cooked TVP (textured soy protein). I added readymade taco seasoning, but this can be substituted with a mixture of cumin powder, chili powder and some dried oregano or marjoram.
Great for weeknight meals and since I don’t like the fuss of wrapping in tortilla, I cook some rice; top it with the taco “meat” and all the other toppings for lunch the next day. Yumm.
Ingredients:6” Corn Tortillas - 10
Soy ground meat – 1 pkg (I used Lightlife)Pepper – 1 small, chopped fine
Onion – 1 medium, choppedCarrots – 1 small, grated (Optional)
Garlic cloves – 2, mincedTomato puree – ¼ cup
Taco Seasoning – 2-3 tbspSalt – to taste
Toppings:Avocado – 1, diced
Grape Tomatoes – 10, halvedScallions – 4, chopped
Lettuce – shredded(Vegan) Sour Cream – ¼ cup
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan; add onions, peppers and carrots (if using) and sauté on medium flame till the veggies are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the soy meat (or cooked TVP), crumble with back of the spoon and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Next add tomato puree, taco seasoning and ¼ cup water; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes. If the mixture is too wet, cook uncovered till the extra water evaporates. Season with salt, keep in mind taco seasoning has quite a bit of salt, so adjust accordingly. Keep aside.
- Corn tortillas are quite fragile if not warmed before hand. Heat a skillet on medium-high flame and warm the tortillas on both sides until very slightly browned and pliable. Pile all the toppings and enjoy.
This is of to Vaishali for her Its a Vegan World: Mexican event. Pin It Now!