My first attempt at making the carrot cupcakes from vegan cupcakes take over the world was a major disaster. I later found out from my colleague that there is a typo in the recipe and the amount of flour needs to be increased from 2/3 cups to 1 2/3 cups. So I tried again and they turned out pretty good. My husband and son are enjoying them everyday since.
Vegan baking seems to be much simpler than baking with butter and eggs. There is no need to cream the butter until light and airy, no need to add eggs one at a time or even worry about the shells getting into the batter.
All purpose flour – 1 2/3 cups
Grated Carrot – 1 cup (from 1 large carrot)
Sugar – 2/3 cup
Canola oil – 1/3 cup
Soy Yogurt (plain or vanilla) – 1/3 cup
Pure Vanilla – 1 tsp
Baking soda – ¾ tsp
Baking powder – ¼ tsp
Ground ginger – ¼ tsp
Ground Cinnamon – ¼ tsp
Salt – ¼ tsp
Chopped Walnuts – ¼ cup (I used cashews instead)
Raisins – ¼ cup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix in sugar, oil, yogurt and vanilla.
- Sift the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda & powder, spices, salt) on the wet ingredients and using a wooden spoon mix until well combined.
- Stir in grated carrots, walnuts and raisins.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the muffin tins. Bake for 26-28 minutes or until the cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, remove onto a wire rack; cool completely and frost them with vegan cream cheese frosting.