Cook's Hideout: Eggplant Wrap

August 07, 2008

Eggplant Wrap

I’m lucky to live at walkable distance from my work. Looking at the sky rocketing gas prices and extremely frustrating traffic jams I’m very glad we made the decision to move closer to work. But the biggest advantage is being able to see my son just minutes after I leave work. That to me is price-less.
Well now I have to confess, I don’t walk to work (ya… ya.. I know I have to), but being this close sometimes spoils you rotten. But on the other hand, I try to come home in the afternoon on my lunch break; prep something for dinner like cook dal, make a quick curry, chop veggies for evening, soak beans or something like that. It’s so much easy to come home in the evening and make some rice and finish up the curry and/or dal. This is giving us time to take our son for a stroll in the evening. I’m loving it..
So today I baked the eggplant and made hummus during my lunch time and put together the warps after we came home. I would include lettuce, roasted red peppers and onions next time I make these wraps.

Ingredients: For Baked Eggplant:
Eggplant – 1 medium, cut widthwise into ¼“ slices
Flour – ¼ cup
Milk – about ¼ cup
Bread Crumbs – ½ cup
Dried basil – 1tsp

For the Wraps:
Whole grain Tortillas – 4
Tomatoes – 2 medium, thinly sliced
Method:
  • Layer the eggplant slices in a colander; sprinkle each layer liberally with salt. Put something heavy on the eggplants, so that they release the bitter juices. Leave it for at least 30minutes (or before leaving to work).
  • Preheat oven to 450°F.
  • After 30 minutes, (or during lunch time) rinse off the salt and pat dry thoroughly.
  • Set up an assembly line with 3 plates each with flour (seasoned with salt and pepper), milk and bread crumbs (seasoned with basil, salt & pepper or any other seasonings you like).
  • Drench the eggplant in flour-milk-bread crumbs (in the same order). Place them on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet and bake them for 5-7 minutes on each side until they turn golden brown. Remove and let cool.
  • To assemble, smear the wrap liberally with hummus, lay the eggplant and tomatoes, wrap and enjoy.
For the Hummus (Adapted from Alton brown’s recipe):
Chickpeas – 1 15oz. can drained or 1 ½ cups cooked
Peanut butter – 3 tbsp
Lemon juice – 2tbsp
Olive oil – 2tbsp
Red pepper flakes – ½ tsp
Salt and pepper to taste.

Method: Blend them into a smooth paste in a food processor.

7 comments:

  1. this is surely on e healthy dish ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The eggplant perfectly crisp and I love the wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy, healthy and also easy to make. I might also try using Alfalfa sprouts in this wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must've been yummy! Looks delicious, pavani!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would be my dream too, to see my son just after I leave work. For me it is an agonising 45 minute drive and that is the only thing I hate.

    Loved the hummus recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow looks yum. Nice picture. First time here. U have a nice blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips