Cook's Hideout: Chimp Cakes

August 27, 2008

Chimp Cakes

Many of the friends think it is very strange that we celebrate our son’s monthly birthday. We put a cute new outfit on him, make a cake and take pictures. One of my friend actually said that it is too much to think about and arrange for. But for us it’s something we enjoy and cherish every month.

It’s hard to believe that our little fella will soon be 1 and before we even realize he’ll be off to college. I hope time takes a little break and he doesn’t have to grow up that fast.
For this month’s birthday, I made these Chimp cakes. I adapted the recipe from Vegetarian Times magazine. This is a vegan recipe, but I made it non-vegan. Here’s my non-vegan version of the recipe.

Recipe Adapted from here
.
Ingredients:
All-purpose flour – 1 cup
Whole wheat pastry flour – 1 cup
Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Brown Sugar – ½ cup
Regular Sugar – ½ cup
Unsweetened Apple sauce – ½ cup
Canola Oil – 1 cup
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
1% Milk – ¼ cup
Bananas – 3 medium, mashed
Chocolate chips – 1 cup
Walnuts & Cashews – ½ cup, chopped


Method:
  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 18 muffin tins with paper cupcake liners.
  • Whisk the two flours, sugars and baking soda in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
  • In a separate bowl, combine applesauce, oil and vanilla essence.
  • Fold applesauce mixture into the flour mixture with a spatula or wooden spoon until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts into the batter.
  • Fill prepared muffin tins 2/3 full with the batter. Bake 25-30 minutes or until the cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes, then unmold onto wire rack to cool.


This is my entry to
* Meeta’s (@ What's For Lunch Honey?) Monthly Mingle: Fruit and Chocolate and
* Hima’s (@ Snackorama) Sunday Snacks-Bake it event.

13 comments:

  1. That looks amazing and healthy too with w.w.p flour! I am totally into this type of cooking/baking, so I would def. give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely cake and vegan sounds great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to keep track of my daughter's monthly bdays too...until a few months after she turned one.
    Your cupcakes look good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand, Pavani. We also used to celebrate every month for my daughter till she turned one. Even now after she has completed her first year, we keep a track every month!
    Delicious looking cake....

    ReplyDelete
  5. cakes looks lovely..Even I used to celebrate my son's monthly b'days till he was one..indeed times flys so fast...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds lovely and looks amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. banana and choclote always a classic combo. love it. thanks for joining the mm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely combo .. the pic looks real good ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute little muffins :-) Pav, please send in your entry, I wont be posting the round-up until weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cute... and these cakes look cute too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those cups are so awesome looking. Thanks for your lovely entry pavani.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's nicer from parents like you to have monthly birthday remembrance. I'm going to adapt the recipe for my son's next birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips