This is a very nutritious and filling dish. I adapted Rachael Ray's Mexican lasagna to suit our taste. I used almost all the different variety of veggies I had in the fridge.
For the Filling:
Onion - 1 medium, chopped
Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
Zucchini - 1 medium, chopped
Red Pepper - 3 medium, chopped ( I actually used 1 each of red, green and orange)
Spinach - 3 cups, roughly chopped
Red Kidney beans - 1 15 oz. can, drained and rinsed
Chopped Tomatoes - 1 15 oz. can ( or as required)
Cumin powder - 2 tbsp
Chili powder - 1 tbsp
Salt and pepper - to taste
Tortillas - 3 ( I used large flour tortillas, you can substitute corn tortillas)
Sharp Cheddar cheese - 1 cup, grated
Pepper Jack cheese - 1 cup, grated
Green onions - 2, for garnish
- In a large pot, heat 2 tbsp oil on medium flame. Add garlic and saute till light brown. Add onions, peppers, zucchini and saute for about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper; cover and cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the veggies are just tender.
- Add chopped spinach and kidney beans. Cook till the spinach wilts, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes ( make sure that the filling is not too wet), cumin powder, chili powder. Cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and keep aside.
- In a baking dish (I used a square baking dish), spread just a little filling (about 2tbsp)in the bottom.
- Halve the tortillas and layer the filling with 2 tortilla half moons (with the cut side facing outward).
- Spread 1/3 of the filling and cheese over the tortillas. Place another layer of tortillas.
- Repeat the layers with filling and cheese.
- Top most layer should be cheese (add more cheese for a gooey top).
- Bake in pre-heated 425F oven for 10-15 minutes or till the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and enjoy with a simple salad for a complete meal.
* Left over filling is great with rice (white or brown).
* Lasagna can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days; reheats well and is great for lunch
the next day.
* Any veggie or beans can be added like mushrooms, black beans, pinto beans, broccoli.