Last September we have added a new member to our family and this little guy has almost taken over our lives. I can’t remember how life was with just the two of us. He keeps both of us busy and on our toes (I can’t imagine how it is going to be when he starts crawling and then waaaa….lking!!!) Well anyway I’m back to work and the poor guy is now in daycare. He is slowly getting used to the new people and new schedule.
It is getting a little hectic in the kitchen at night to get food on the table on time. Shaheen’s 30min express cooking round up is my new bible and I’m trying to follow as many suggestions given there as humanly possible. Anymore tips and tricks of the trade are more than welcome. Coming to the pasta recipe, I made some changes to Rachael Ray’s Eggplant Marinara sauce and the resulting dish was really really really delicious.
Rigatoni – 1 pound
Eggplant – 1 large
Grape/ Cherry tomoatoes – 1 pint
Red onion – 1 small, chopped fine
Garlic – 3 coves, minced
Balsamic vinegar – 2 tsp
Crushed tomatoes – 1 cup
Basil – ½ cup, chopped
Parmesan Cheese - as needed
Salt and Pepper – to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut eggplants in half, drizzle with a little olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Place eggplants on a baking sheet and transfer to the oven for about 45 minutes, until tender and golden brown. (While this is happening I fed the baby).
- When the eggplants are almost half way through (around the 20-25 minute mark), scatter the tomatoes (sprinkled with olive oil and salt & pepper) on the same baking sheet.
- By the time eggplant is completely roasted, tomatoes would burst and get juicy & sweet. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop the flesh out of the eggplant and mash with a fork. Mash the tomatoes also.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet, sauté onions and garlic till they turn light and transparent.
- Add canned crushed tomatoes, eggplant, roasted tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and cook on medium flame for about 10-15 mins. Stir in basil at the end.
- In the meantime cook pasta according to package directions and serve hot with the eggplant sauce sprinkled generously with Parmesan cheese and hearty bread.