Cook's Hideout: Methi Chana Pulao (Fenugreek leaves and Chickpea Pilaf)

March 11, 2015

Methi Chana Pulao (Fenugreek leaves and Chickpea Pilaf)

Blogging Marathon# 50: Week 2/ Day 2
Theme: Methi Dishes
Dish: Methi Chana Pulao
Apart from curries, lentil dishes and rotis, methi is great to use in rice dishes too. I have made spicy pulao with methi and paneer before, but today's pulao is quite mild with just a few whole spices. This recipe is my adaptation of my cousin's methi pudina rice. She usually serves the rice with a spicy curry, but I added some chickpeas to the rice to make it wholesome.
Methi Chana Pulao (Fenugreek leaves and Chickpea Pilaf)
This is a one-pot dish and can be whipped up in no time (if you have the methi leaves all prepped and ready to go, that is). I usually store my cleaned methi leaves in an airtight container in the fridge once I get back from the store and then use them as needed during the week.

Methi Chana Pulao (Fenugreek leaves and Chickpea Pilaf)
Cooking the rice in coconut milk gives a nice sweet taste that balances the bitterness of the methi leaves. Any protein like green peas, tofu, paneer can be added to the dish instead of chickpeas. Serve it with a simple raita or a curry for a complete meal.

Ingredients: Serves 2~3
Basmati Rice - 1cup
Methi Leaves - 1cup
Mint Leaves - ¼cup
Chickpeas - 1cup cooked
Onion - 1 large, thinly sliced
Green Chilies - 2~3, finely chopped
Ginger-garlic paste - 1tsp
Coconut Milk - 1cup
Cinnamon stick - 1" piece
Cloves - 3
Cardamom - 2
Bay leaf - 1
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Wash basmati rice and soak in water for at least 30 minutes.
  • Heat 1tbsp oil in a heavy bottomed pan; add cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom and bay leaf. Cook till the spices are fragrant, about 30~45 seconds.
  • Add the onions, green chilies and ginger-garlic paste. Cook till the onions are browned around the edges.
  • Stir in the methi & pudina (mint) leaves. Mix well, cover and cook till the greens are wilted, about 3~4 minutes.
  • Drain the water from the rice and add to the pan. Mix well to coat the grains with the spices and the greens. Cook for 2~3 minutes.
  • Add the coconut milk and 1cup of water. (Adjust the amount of water depending on the rice that is being used.) Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat, cover and cook until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. 
  • Turn off the heat and keep the pan covered for at least 5~10 minutes before digging in.
Methi Chana Pulao (Fenugreek leaves and Chickpea Pilaf)
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 50.
Signature

12 comments:

  1. Rice turned out good and lovely pictures. I too like methi in pulaos and occasionally make methi pulao. Never tried coconut milk and that must have give a nice flavor to the rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful set up and the rice looks delicious . I like the addition of coconut milk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pulao is just inviting me, am also doing a pulao under this theme, now i have to give a try to this combo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful setup. Interesting rice recipe. Should be apt for lunchbox..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing texture of the rice and love your entire setup..want to grab those bowls right away and scoop the rice in..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely one pot meal. Love all the blended flavors and the mild spices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very lovely rice dish .Wonderful setup..

    ReplyDelete
  8. That must be one yummy rice with full of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do that too-prep the greens and store in containers as soon as am back from the market. Saves a lot of time later right! And this is a lovely pulao. I have both channa and methi leaves int he fridge. This might come my lunch today :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning presentation for a flavorful pulao!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pulao I love teh addition of coconut milk.Must make it will see if I can get my girls to pick the leaves for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips