Cook's Hideout: Goan Mixed Vegetable Curry

March 01, 2013

Goan Mixed Vegetable Curry

Pressure cooker is a quintessential equipment in any Indian kitchen. I own 6 pressure cookers in different sizes, shapes and materials -- stainless steel, aluminum and hard anodized. Each one has its own purpose, one can fit the idli stand, one cooks for a crowd, one for 2 and so on. More than a couple of them have served me well for the past 12+ years. Fortunately I've never had an accident in my kitchen (touch wood).
So when Jaya posted about a cookbook author belittling my beloved kitchen equipment, I wanted to show my love to my pressure cooker by posting about it. Like any Indian, I cook rice, lentils, beans, veggie curries etc in the pressure cooker. In today's recipe I used the cooker to cook the veggies and give me a head start in making the curry. 

I made this Goan Mixed Vegetable curry from Divine Taste's original recipe. This is a very hearty and filling curry and the recipe makes quite a lot of it. I served the curry with simple jeera rice the first day and the leftovers with dalia upma and roti the subsequent days.

Ingredients:
For the Curry:
Potato - 1 medium, chopped
Carrot - 1 medium, chopped
Green beans - 20, chopped into ½" pieces
Green peas - ½cup
Cauliflower - 1 cup, florets (I used broccoliflower)
Turmeric - ¼tsp
Salt - to taste

For the Spice Paste:
Coriander seeds - 2tbsp
Cumin seeds - 2tsp
Peppercorns - ¼tsp
Dry red chilies - 3-4
Coconut, grated - 1 cup
Tamarind pulp - 1tbsp
Ginger - 1" piece

For tempering:
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Asafoetida (hing) - ½tsp
Curry leaves - 8-10

Method:
  • Pressure cook all the veggies except for cauliflower and green peas. Make sure that the veggies don't turn mushy, 1 whistle in my pressure cooker. Alternately veggies can either be microwaved or boiled in some water.
  • In the meantime , dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns and dry red chilies until they turn a shade darker and start smelling aromatic. Let cool slightly and grind to a smooth paste along with grated coconut, tamarind pulp and ginger.
  • In a saute pan, add cauliflower and ½cup water; simmer until cauliflower is tender. Next add green peas and the other veggies, cook for 3-4 minutes.
  • Add the ground paste, turmeric and salt. Mix well and simmer for 10 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Add water if the curry looks too thick.
  • Finally for the tempering; heat 2tbsp oil in a small pan, add mustard seeds and once seeds start to splutter add hing and curry leaves; pour immediately onto the curry. I served the curry with some simple fried rice and cucumber raita.
 

So we had a filling lunch with Mixed vegetable curry and Jeera rice, both cooked in 2 of my workhorse pressure cookers and neither of them blew up in my face.

Signature

10 comments:

  1. Veg curry looks inviting.Love ur cookers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant imagine my life without pressure cooker, seriously how can we cook any dish in a jiffy without pressure cooker na.

    Vegetable curry looks flavourful,colourful and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sound good. Must make this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a delicious and authentic recipe.. looks colorful.. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi there... u've a lovely page and glad that u share my love for the pressure cooker, if i don't have my three cookers, i feel seriously handicapped!!! :) glad to be following u...
    http://sweettoothraf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pressure cooking takes off the pressure of cooking for me too!! Cant imagine a lpday without them... Curry looks absolutely noteworthy !., would be keen to know how you make fried rice or jeers rice in the cooker though. Mine always turns mushy :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Kalyani. I will post my rice cooker fried rice recipe soon..

      Delete
  7. Goan food & coconuts... Anazing veggie curry. I love this & I make this more often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pavani, is that the 'handi' shape anodized prestige?

    The rice looks perfect and very inviting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shri, yes that is my beloved 'handi' shaped anodized pressure cooker. All thanks to my mom who bought it for me :-)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips