Cook's Hideout: Lauki Paratha (Sorakaya Paratha)

April 22, 2011

Lauki Paratha (Sorakaya Paratha)

For Day 5 of the Blogging Marathon and I've this healthy and delicious Lauki paratha. I started looking for Roti/ Paratha recipes once I decided to do the marathon and I finalized 7 recipes that I wanted to make. Then I borrowed "Pure & Simple: Homemade Vegetarian Indian Cuisine" by Vidhu Mithal from the library and when I saw the picture of lauki paratha, I wanted to try it for the marathon, so I pushed one of my Puri recipes out and in came this veggie rich paratha.

Lauki Ki Paratha1

I had a rocky start while making this paratha. I added a little more than is needed to make the dough and it ended up very sticky. I tried to add more atta, but it was still too sticky. So I divided the dough into balls and rolled them in lot of atta and then made the parathas. The end result was yummy, slight nuttiness from the besan and mild after taste of the lauki, these parathas were just delicious. I served these to my picky 3 yr old with tomato pickle and he gustily gobbled them up, which is unusual because he eats everything with nutella or jam.

Lauki Ki Paratha

What did I learn: Even if you don't like Lauki, you would LOVE these Lauki parathas.

Ingredients:
Atta - 1½ cups
Besan - ½cup (I used brown chickpea flour for some added fiber)
Salt - ¾tsp
Yogurt - 2tbsp
Lauki (Bottle gourd) - ½lb, grated (about 2-3cups)
Carom seeds (Ajwain) - ½tsp
Cilantro - 2tbsp, finely chopped
Red chili powder - ½tsp
Turmeric - ¼tsp

Method:
  • Sieve atta and besan with salt. Add all the other ingredients and knead to make regular roti dough. Add water as needed to form the dough. Please note that lauki gives out moisture as it sits, so DO NOT add too much water.
  • Keep aside covered for 5 minutes.
  • Divide the dough into 12 equal parts. Dust with atta and roll each ball into 6" disc.
  • Cook on heated skillet (tawa) with 1tbsp oil until light golden brown on both sides. Serve hot.
Lauki Ki Paratha2

Lets see what my fellow marathoners BM#4 have been cooking up today.

Diabetes Diet/Management: Kamalika, Smitha, Suma
Kid Friendly Recipes: Anusha, Cool Lassi(e)
Seven Days of Soup: Priya Suresh
Seven Days of Indian Bread: Jayasree
Seven Days of Cakes:Priya Vasu
Seven Days of Preserves: Gayathri Kumar, Vaishali
30 Minutes Meals: Priya Mahadevan, Srivalli
Signature

6 comments:

  1. Totally agree with u, i know how tasty these parathas are, even i prepared them long back, we loved it a lot..Wonderful parathas..

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredibly tasty paratha! I am going to try this next :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very filling and healthy paratha! Delicious! Enjoy your borrowed book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely idea of using lauki in parathas..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brown chickpea flour is new to me...Did u make your own? Good way to include lauki in diet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. like sorakaya koftas, i love these parathas too!!....nice healthy one!
    Smitha
    Smitha's Spicy Flavors

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips