Cook's Hideout: Semya Pulao (Vermicelli Pilaf)

November 26, 2013

Semya Pulao (Vermicelli Pilaf)

BM# 34: Week 4/ Day 3
Theme: Cooking from Sapana's blog
Dish: Semya Pulao (Vermicelli Pilaf)
It has been a busy day and I'm very late for the 3rd day post for BM# 34. I was busy prepping for the Thanksgiving party and also finishing up the necessary shopping. Weather was lousy today, gloomy, cold and rainy -- totally uninspiring and dull.
I was planning to make one of Sapana's Chole recipe. I had already soaked the chickpeas, but by the time we came back from shopping, we were starving and I didn't have time to cook the beans and make the curry. Instead I made this quick to make Seviyan Pulao
Semya Pulao (Vermicelli Pilaf)
I make semya pulao often, but the addition of tomato, garlic masala paste is new and added lot of flavor to the pulao. Also using carom seeds in tempering is a different element. It tasted great and we had a filling lunch.
Semya Pulao (Vermicelli Pilaf)
Ingredients: Serves 2~3
Semya (I used MTR brand roasted vermicelli) - 1cup
Onion - 1medium, thinly sliced
Mixed Vegetables - 2cups (I used frozen mixed vegetables with green beans, carrots, green peas and corn)
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Green chilies - 2~3
Cilantro - 3tbsp, chopped
Ginger - 1" piece
Garlic - 2cloves
Curry leaves - 8~10
Carom seeds - 1tsp
Red chili powder - ½tsp
Ground Coriander - ½tsp
Garam Masala - ½tsp
Turmeric - ¼tsp
Salt - to taste

Method:

  • Grind tomatoes, green chilies, ginger, garlic and cilantro into a smooth paste. Set aside.
  • If using regular vermicelli, dry roast vermicelli until golden. Set aside.
  • Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan; add carom seeds and once the seeds start to splutter add the chopped onions and curry leaves. Cook until onions are translucent.
  • Add mixed vegetables and cook until tender. 
  • Next add the ground paste, red chili powder, ground coriander, garam masala, turmeric and salt. Cook till the masala doesn't smell raw anymore, about 4~5 minutes.
  • Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. 
  • Add the roasted vermicelli and cook until water is absorbed and vermicelli is tender. Serve hot and enjoy!!
Semya Pulao (Vermicelli Pilaf)
Lets check what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 34.
Signature

10 comments:

  1. I can have it anytime a day ! looks so yummy !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats an fantastic and super delicious semiya pulao :) very tempting !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so delicious.. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recipe for dinner ready :). Looks super yumm

    ReplyDelete
  5. So tempting!! I have tried something similar with ragi vermicelli, hug addition ig ground tomato masala n Carrom seeds is totally new!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember making this as well for another theme..quite interesting one when you want a change..hope you had a great thanksgiving day..

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a quick and flavorful meal..Hope your Thanksgiving dinner went wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this version, Pavani..shall try it out soon..

    ReplyDelete
  9. very useful really good information thanks for posting such a good information it will hepls the people a lot keep it up , Regards,
    Semiya upma


    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips