I love making casseroles, I think they are very comforting and I especially like to dig into the cheesy crusts. I sometimes buy frozen entrees by Amy’s Kitchen and I really liked their enchilada entrée with tomatillo sauce. I tried to re-create it at home and the end result was pretty satisfying. I found this recipe by Rick Bayless for Creamy tomatillo sauce and tweaked it just a little bit to suit our taste.
For the Sauce:
Tomatillos – about 8 medium size, husked and rinsed
Onion – 1 large, roughly chopped
Garlic – 3 cloves, peeled
Heavy cream – ½ cup
Veggie broth – 2 cups
Sugar – 2tsp
Salt & Pepper – to taste
Corn Tortillas – 10
Vegetables – 8 cups, chopped (I used carrots, red & yellow peppers, zucchini & onion)
Pepper jack cheese – 1 cup, grated
Salt & pepper – to taste
Pin It Now!
- Heat the oven to Broil. Evenly spread the tomatillos, onions and garlic on a baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes; Turn the vegetables around and broil for another 5 minutes or until the tomatillos are charred on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Lower the oven to 425°F. Spread the chopped veggies on a baking sheet (lined with foil for easy clean up), add 2tbsp oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast them for 25-30 minutes turning them around half way, until the veggies are lightly browned around the edges. Remove and keep aside.
- In the meantime make the tomatillo sauce: Blend the roasted tomatillos, onions and garlic along with the juices until very smooth. Heat 2tsp olive oil in a sauce pan, pour in the tomatillo puree; cook until the puree turns darker and thicker, about 8-10 minutes. Add broth and cream; simmer on low flame for 30 minutes until the mixture thickens. Be careful with the spluttering of the hot simmering sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Keep aside.
- To Assemble: Pour 1 cup of the tomatillo sauce on the bottom of the casserole/ baking dish.
- Brush tortillas lightly on both sides with oil; stack and wrap them in a damp paper towel. Microwave for 1 minute. While the tortillas are still warm and pliable, place 2tbsp roasted vegetables, roll and place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with all the tortillas.
- Pour more sauce over the tortillas, top with grated cheese.
- Bake in the preheated 425°F oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned. Serve warm and enjoy the gooey goodness.