Cook's Hideout: Chettinad Beet Kola Urundai (Indian style Beet Croquettes)

June 19, 2016

Chettinad Beet Kola Urundai (Indian style Beet Croquettes)

Blogging Marathon# 65: Week 3/ Day 3
Theme: 1 Vegetable -- 3 Dishes
Dish: Beet Kola Urundai
For the final day of this week's marathon, I made these delicious Chettinad style Beet kola urundai. Some of my BM friends have made them during the last mega marathon and I thought they were very interesting but I wasn't sure how they would taste.
Indian style Beet Croquettes
These urundai can be made by soaking and grinding dal like in Gayathri's recipe. But I wasn't really prepared to make this dish the day I made them, so went with Nalini's recipe for an instant recipe which uses ground roasted gram to hold them together.
Indian style Beet Croquettes
Like I said, I wasn't sure what to expect. But once I tasted one I couldn't stop myself from popping a few more in the name of tasting. These urundai are spicy, delicious and just melt in your mouth. They are great to serve as appetizer or snack and also as an accompaniment to rice dish.
Indian style Beet Croquettes

Recipe from Nalini's Kitchen:

Beet Kola Urundai
Ingredients:
  • 1 Small Beet, peeled and grated
  • ½cup Fresh grated coconut
  • 1 Small Onion, chopped
  • 3~4 Dry red chilies (adjust as per taste)
  • 2 Garlic cloves
  • 1" Ginger piece
  • 1tsp Fennel seeds
  • 4 Cashews
  • 2tbsp Cilantro, chopped
  • 4tbsp Roasted gram dal
  • To taste Salt
  • For frying Oil
Method:
  1. Powder the roasted gram dal and keep aside.
  2. In a blender, combine coconut, onion, red chilies, ginger, garlic, fennel seeds and cashews. Pulse to form a coarse paste. Do not add any water.
  3. Add the grated beets and blend into a coarse mixture.
  4. Remove the beet mixture into a bowl and add the roasted gram powder, salt and cilantro. Mix well and make small gooseberry sized balls.
  5. Heat oil for deep frying on medium heat. Gently add the few beet balls and fry until golden brown on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with the remaining beet mixture.
  6. Serve warm or at room temperature as a snack or a side dish with rice and sambar.
Indian style Beet Croquettes

 
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 65.
Signature

9 comments:

  1. The recipe is interesting and the colour looks so pretty . Fantastic Pavani.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bookmarked theirs too pavani. wonderful recipe naa. Yet to try this... love the clicks

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look so well made, Pavani !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bookmarked this recipe in the last Marathon. It is wonderful to see that you have already tried it. I am yet to try it. Your pics are great as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for experimenting and bringing us this recipe! I followed your recipe to a tee and my family couldn't stop popping them in! Best part is, its as nutritious as it is delicious. Thanks Pavani!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pravzz, I'm so glad that you liked the recipe. Thank you for letting me know :-)

      Delete
  6. That's one lovely dish Pavani. Nice that you tried it out right away..I enjoyed your series much!..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feel like munching some, very irresistible kola urundais.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips