Cook's Hideout: Fasulye/ Barbunya Pilaki (Turkish Everyday Beans) for #Food of the World

January 13, 2015

Fasulye/ Barbunya Pilaki (Turkish Everyday Beans) for #Food of the World

We are visiting the beautiful Turkey this month for the #Food of the World event. Turkish food happens to be one of my favorite and I'm always looking for opportunities to try new dishes. I borrowed 'The New Middle Eastern Vegetarian' cookbook by Sally Butcher from the library. As the book's name suggests it has vegetarian recipes from the Middle East and after reading through the book a couple of times, I am tempted to try almost all the recipes :-)
This Turkish Everyday beans recipe, Fasulye Pilaki, is traditionally made with white beans like navy or cannellini or Fasulye. Pilaki refers to the method of preparation: anything that is served cold with olive oil is a Pilaki.
Fasulye Pilaki (Turkish Everyday Beans)
I thought I had a can of white beans in my pantry but unfortunately I didn't, so I ended up using small pink beans in the recipe. I don't know the translation of pink in Turkish, so I'm going to stick with the Fasulye Pilaki (modified) name. My dear Turkish friend told me the name of the dish with red beans is called 'Barbunya Pilaki'But no matter which beans you use, this is a recipe with simple ingredients and delicious flavors. So try it with whatever beans you have in the pantry.
Fasulye Pilaki (Turkish Everyday Beans)
According to the book, this is one of the most widely enjoyed dishes in Turkey. The dish can be enjoyed hot on a cold winter day or served cold in summer. It can used as a filling for sandwiches and crepes, works as a salad and can be served with other dishes too. I served this with Turkish Bulgur Pilaf (recipe for this is coming up soon).

Ingredients: Serves 3~4
Dry Cannellini or Navy Beans - 1cup (or use 1 14oz. can of beans)
Onion - 1 medium, finely chopped
Celery - 2 sticks, finely diced (I didn't use any)
Carrot - 1 large, peeled and finely diced
Green Chilies - 2, chopped (optional)
Potato - 1 medium, peeled and finely diced
Garlic - 2cloves, minced
Lemon zest - 1tbsp
Lemon juice - 2tbsp (from 1 lemon)
Parsley - 3tbsp, chopped
Salt & Pepper - to taste

Method:
  • Soak the beans overnight. Drain and rinse them. Place them in a saucepan with fresh water and bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 35~40 minutes or until they are cooked. Drain and set aside. Alternately the beans can be cooked in the pressure cooker for 3~5 whistles, then drain and set aside.
  • Heat 3tbsp olive oil in a pan, add onions, celery, carrots and chilies. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the potatoes and garlic. Cook for a minute.
  • Next add ¼cup of water and the cooked beans. Lower the heat and let the beans simmer for 20 minutes or until the veggies are cooked and the beans are very tender. Remove the pan from heat.
  • Whisk 2tbsp olive oil with lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir this into the beans. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Fasulye Pilaki (Turkish Everyday Beans)

Please visit our cohosts blogs and follow their sites! 

Submit your Turkish recipes using the linky tool below:
Signature
 

3 comments:

  1. I think I may have eaten this dish in Turkey. I have to check out that cookbook. Middle Eastern vegetarian is the best because they don't sacrifice taste. PInned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems almost like a salsa, how appetizing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips