Cook's Hideout: Mashed Potato Poriyal (Urulaikizhangu Podimas/ Mashed Potato Curry)

May 09, 2014

Mashed Potato Poriyal (Urulaikizhangu Podimas/ Mashed Potato Curry)

My husband is a big potato fan and leave it to him, he can eat potatoes in any form for all meals. SO I'm always looking for interesting recipes with potatoes. I'm not sure why it took me this long to make this super simple curry from Dakshin by Chandra Padmanabhan.
Mashed Potato Poriyal (Urulaikizhangu Podimas/ Mashed Potato Curry)
This is basically mashed potato curry not unlike the one I make for dosas, but the addition of grated coconut at the end is new for me. I think this curry tastes good even with rotis.
Ingredients:
Potatoes - 2 medium, boiled and mashed
Green chilies - 2, slit
Ginger - 1" piece, finely grated
Turmeric - ½tsp
Grated Coconut - 2tbsp, fresh or frozen
Lime juice - 2tbsp
Cilantro - 3tbsp, finely chopped
Salt - to taste

For Tempering:
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Urad dal - 1tsp
Chana dal - 1tsp
Dry red chili - 1, halved
Asafoetida/ Hing - ½tsp
Curry leaves - 6~8

Method;
  • Heat 2tsp oil and all the tempering ingredients. Once the mustard seeds start to splutter, add the green chilies, ginger and cook for a few seconds.
  • Add the mashed potatoes, salt, turmeric and grated grated coconut. Mix well. Cook for 2~3 minutes for the flavors to blend. Turn off the heat.
  • Mix in the lime juice. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve hot.
Mashed Potato Poriyal (Urulaikizhangu Podimas/ Mashed Potato Curry)



Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge: May -- Week 2'.










Also linking to Fabulous Feast# 14, being hosted this week by Valli & Prachi.
Signature

5 comments:

  1. we love this with dal and rice. the clicks are so good made me crave for it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potatoes are my weakness, drooling here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I tasted a potato dish with coconut was in a Mallu feast, it was awesome..yours sound so good..guess we can double it as stir fry and as a side dish for anything..

    ReplyDelete
  4. potatoes and coconut seem a unique combo but im sure this tasted delicious

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips