Cook's Hideout: Paneer Vegetable Frankie

February 19, 2013

Paneer Vegetable Frankie

Blogging Marathon# 25: Week 3/ Day 3
Theme: Cooking with Alphabets - A, L, F
Dish: F for Frankie
Frankie is a famous Mumbai snack. It is nothing but a delicious wrap stuffed with meats and vegetables. Frankie's been on my to-make list for a long time now. Not sure why I didn't make it earlier --- since it's so simple to make and all the ingredients used are always in my pantry. 
Frankie is very versatile and can be made entirely with meat or just vegetables and if you skip the egg wash for the wrap, they can be completely vegan too.

I used paneer and some mixed vegetables for my stuffing which is mildly spiced with some red chili powder and some chaat masala. I was tempted to by "Frankie Masala" from the Indian grocery store, but since I'm against buying anything for one specific purpose, I picked up chaat masala instead.
For the wrapper I used wholewheat tortillas that I had in the fridge, but homemade or store bought rotis can be used instead.
Ingredients: (Makes 3 Frankies)
Wholewheat Tortillas - 3
Egg - 1, lightly beaten (optional)
Salt & Pepper - to taste

For the Stuffing:
Paneer - ½cup, cut into cubes
Onion - 1 medium, thinly sliced
Cabbage - 1 cup, thinly sliced
Red Pepper - 1 small, thinly sliced
Chaat Masala - ½tsp
Red chili powder - ¼tsp
Aamchoor powder (Dry mango powder) - ¼tsp (Or use some lemon juice)
Salt - to taste

 
Method:
  • Make the Stuffing: Heat 2tsp oil in a saute pan; add onions, peppers and cabbage. Cook on medium-high flame stirring constantly until the veggies are crisp tender. 
  • Next add paneer, chaat masala, red chili powder, aamchoor and salt. Mix well and cook until paneer is heated through, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from flame and set aside.
  • For the Wrap: If using the egg, then beat the egg lightly with salt and pepper. Brush one side of the tortilla (or roti) with the egg wash and put this egg side to cook in a lightly oiled skillet. Brush the other side with the egg wash; flip and cook the second to form the crust. Remove onto a plate and repeat with all the tortillas.
  • To Assemble: Place 2-3 tbsp of the filling in the bottom half of the tortilla (roti). Fold the bottom of the tortilla onto the filling, then fold both the sides over and roll to encase the filling and form the roll. Wrap the bottom of the Frankie with aluminum foil and serve hot with a side salad.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up today for BM# 25.
Signature

12 comments:

  1. Love to have this beautiful frankie rite now, makes me hungry even after having my dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pavani,
    Lovely frankie recipe... its so simple and tasty.. would def try it out... Thanks for sharing the recipe... and the food pics are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes ,it is very versatile indeed.Love you clicks as always:),they are so tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too haven't tried them yet for no reason apparently. :)
    Like your version. Have seen many posts with tomato and have always wondered whether they would turn soggy after sitting for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never knew you get frankie masalas!! Anyway, your roll looks superb without that. Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you said, if we skip the egg, this is a perfect vegetarian meal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow as always you do end up tempting me with your beautiful pictures Pavani, Frankies are my favourite way of packing rotis with fillings. Konda loves them, esp the paneer ones..Btw did I tell you that I like how you list out the theme and BM edition..thanks for the efforts..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frankie looks amazing... delicious

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect breakfast filld with proteins and vitamins looks so delicioius Pavani

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious looking Frankies my all time favorite and make it frequently..

    ReplyDelete
  11. The frankie looks amazing. This is one of my favorite food memories of my home city, Bombay-- eating Frankies at the buzzing Churchgate station. Yours is, of course, far healthier-- and I bet more delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips