Cook's Hideout: Vegan Semya Payasam (Kheer) with Almond Milk

October 25, 2012

Vegan Semya Payasam (Kheer) with Almond Milk

VeganMofo Day 25: Belated Dasara Wishes to Everyone. My husband was out of town yesterday, it was just my mom and I at home. Didn't feel like making anything big for the two of us, so I made this quick prasad for Vijayadasami.

Semya is nothing but Indian version of short cut, thin vermicelli. It's very easy to find in Indian grocery stores. I used roasted vermicelli which makes making this dish much quicker, all you need to do is boil the milk and let the vermicelli cook through.But when roasted vermicelli is not available, just roast regular vermicelli in 1tsp of oil or vegan "butter" until golden brown.

Ingredients: Serves 2-3  
Semya/ Vermicelli - ¼cup 
Sugar - ¼cup
Almond milk - 2 cups
Cardamom powder - ½tsp
Saffron - pinch
Almonds - 2tsp
Raisins - 2tsp

Method:
  • Heat 1tsp oil and 1tsp vegan "butter" (I used Earth Balance soy free spreadable butter) in a saucepan; saute almons and raisins until golden. Set aside.
  • To the same pan, add almond milk  and bring to a boil. Add semya to milk; lower the heat and simmer the mixture until semya is cooked through. Make sure to stir frequently.
  • Once semya is cooked through, add sugar and saffron. Turn off the heat. Milk is hot enough to melt the sugar.
  • Finally add the fried almonds and raisins. 
 
This is great to serve either hot, cold or at room temperature. Also perfect as a quick dessert for unexpected guests or when a strong urge for something sweet strikes.
Signature

2 comments:

  1. Delicious payasam...rich and creamy just as I liked it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is beautiful :) just made it, and it´s heavenly. Thanks for the recipe^^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips