Cook's Hideout: Tomato Rasam

July 07, 2007

Tomato Rasam

This is my husband’s special tomato rasam recipe. Our dear friend V, gave instructions on phone and fortunately (for me) it turned out pretty good (in his words “restaurant style”) the first time he made it. He is very proud of his rasam and making it used to be a secret ritual for a while. But finally I coaxed him to tell me the recipe for the blog.
So here it is my husband’s very famous tomato rasam.

Ingredients:
Tomatoes – 3 medium, ripe
Tamarind pulp – 1 tsp
Rasam powder – 1 tsp (any brand, he uses MTR)
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – ½ tsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Garlic cloves – 2
Curry leaves – 4-5
Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves – chopped for garnish

Method:
  • Make a small “+” cut on the tomatoes; drop them in 1½ cups of boiling water and blanch for 4-5 minutes. Remove from water, cool, peel skin and puree in a blender.
  • In the same water used for boiling tomatoes, add the tomato puree, tamarind paste and bring to a simmer.
  • Add all the powders and salt.
  • Bring to a boil; simmer on medium-high flame for 5 minutes.
  • In a small pan, add ghee and do the popu/ tadka with mustard seeds, minced garlic, curry leaves. Add this to rasam, mix well, garnish with coriander leaves. Enjoy with rice and papad or as soup.

10 comments:

  1. "Hotel" Rasam!! YUM! YUM!! That word always makes me happy!:))
    Looks delicious.I am saving this if you don't mind.Thank you and to your friend for the recipe.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tomato rasam looks yum! I make it the same way except for the garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME rasam!! :) The pic looks inviting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomato rasam looks good. I too make it in a very similar way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Pavani,
    That Rasam looks super. I really like your idea about making a tomato puree - would make a great soup. It looks beauty-red and delicious. It looks like one of those rasams which can be had till the last spoon and not to leave behind the thick sediments at bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this simple rasam recipe. I am going to make it for lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey thanks for the Lovely recipe.

    I tried this recipe today and came out really well.

    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow...in our home the must for lunch is rasam ..sounds different..will try tomorrow..thnx for sharing
    ____________________________
    Good Gynecologist in Chennai

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips