Name of this dal definitely sounds very royal and elegant. That’s what I thought when I saw this on Tarla Dalal’s weekly newsletter with Pressure Cooker recipes. My son loves dal and so I made it right away. What’s not to like about smooth, creamy and mildly spiced dal which goes well with both rice and rotis.
Masoor dal (Red lentils) – 1/3 cup
Moong dal – 1/3 cup
Toor dal (Kandi pappu) – 3tbsp
Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 2 medium, finely chopped
Ginger + garlic paste – 1tsp
Kasoori Methi – 2tsp
Turmeric – pinch
Red chili powder – 1tsp
Coriander powder – 1tsp
Cumin powder – ½ tsp
Garam masala – ½ tsp
Cumin seeds – 1tsp
Yogurt – 2tbsp
Cream – 2tbsp
Salt – to taste
- Rinse dals and soak them in water for about an hour.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds; once the seeds start to sputter, add kasoori methi and onions and cook until translucent. Add g+g paste and cook for another minute.
- Next add the tomatoes and all the powders and salt; cook until tomatoes turn mushy.
- Next add the soaked dals; mix well to coat them with the spices.
- Add 2½ cups of hot water; close the lid and cook for 3 whistles on high. Lower the flame and cook for 1 more whistle.
- Wait till the pressure releases, open the lid and stir in the yogurt and cream. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Don't forget to leave a comment on this post to enter into the CSN Giveaway. Contest ends on Saturday night, February 5th.