Cook's Hideout: Rose Shrikhand (Gulab Shrikand)

June 13, 2015

Rose Shrikhand (Gulab Shrikand)

It's officially summer like in our neck of woods. My son has another week to go before his summer vacation starts -- he can't wait for this week to pass. I'm already worried on how to keep him busy without having to turn on the tv for the whole day. Also bored kids get hungry frequently, so it's better to keep him busy with something that interests him and hopefully we'll survive the summer.
Rose Shrikhand (Gulab Shrikand)
Sorry, I digressed. Coming back to the Rose shrikhand. This is a perfect summer dessert, light, sweet and refreshing. Shrikhand/ Shrikand is a yogurt based dessert and it is traditionally flavored with saffron, cardamom and nuts.

Rose Shrikhand (Gulab Shrikand)
Nowadays a wide variety of shrikhands with various flavorings are being made. I made strawberry flavored and mixed fruit shrikhand in the past. This rose or gulab flavored shrikhand is from a Telugu cooking show. It looked so good on tv, I had to make it for myself right away. 
I wasn't disappointed, it tasted as good as it looks. It takes just minutes to mix and in couple of hours, you have a delicious dessert. Make it for your next summer party or as a sweet treat to yourself :-)
Roses
Ingredients: Serves 2
Greek Yogurt or Strained thick yogurt - 1cup (I used Fage 2% Greek yogurt)
Sugar - 2tbsp (adjust as per taste preference)
Rose Syrup - 2~3tbsp
Rose Water - 2~3tsp
Pistachios - 1tbsp, finely chopped

Method:
  • Whisk the yogurt until creamy. Add the other ingredients and mix well to combine. Taste and add more sugar or rose syrup. Chill for 1~2 hours and serve garnished with chopped pistachios. Rose Shrikhand (Gulab Shrikand)


Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook ChallengeJune -- Week 2'.





Signature

4 comments:

  1. Lovely roses pavani!! For a momen l thought it is made of fresh/dried roses. Lovely color for the shrikhand and as usual I ate with my eyes first!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh pavani, what a lovely hue you got for your Shrikhand!..lovely roses as well..are they from your garden?..I am looking forward to all the snacks you will be making for your son this summer..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Pavani... Loving the hue on your Gulabi Shrikhand. Can't wait to try some. The roses are beautiful too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is delicious and has a beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips