Cook's Hideout: Pondicherry -- Pori Kuzhambu or Pathiya Kuzhambu

April 22, 2014

Pondicherry -- Pori Kuzhambu or Pathiya Kuzhambu

Blogging Marathon# 39 - Indian States: Day 22
State: Pondicherry
Dish: Pori Kuzhambu or Pathiya Kuzhambu
Today, we are going south to Puducherry, formerly known as Pondicherry, is a Union territory in India. The French acquired Pondicherry in 1674 and held control, with occasional interruption from the Britsih and Dutch, until 1954, when it was incorporated into the Indian Union along with the rest of India.
I have a long association with Pondicherry, not directly but indirectly. I went to Aurobindo school in Hyderabad which was founded based on the principles and teachings of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother. Pondicherry was the residence of Sri Aurobindo and Aurobindo ashram located there. My dad would never let me go with my school friends to Pondicherry on the yearly school excursions. But he took us all there when we went on our tour of south India.
Today's Dish: I initially wanted to make a French inspired recipe from Pondicherry and even narrowed down to a stuffed peppers with a fancy French name called Poivrons Farcis, but had to change it to this simple eggplant based rasam kind of dish. I was browsing through Cham's blog Spice Club, knowing fully well that she is the native of Pondicherry. When I found this simple rasam like dish, I made this the same dau for a simple lunch.

This rasam is unlike any other without either tomato or tamarind. It is flavored with ground coriander and lots of garlic. I wasn't sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised with the earthy taste of the dish. Cham says other veggies like drumstick, radish or potato can also be added to this dish.
Recipe adapted from Cham's Spice Club:
Ingredients:
Eggplant - 4 small, chopped
Onion - 1 small, chopped
Garlic - 6~8 cloves
Ground Coriander - 2tbsp
Green chilies - 2, slit optional)
Turmeric - ¼tsp
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Curry leaves - 8~10
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Combine ground coriander, turmeric with 1½cups of water. Add salt, mix well and set aside.
  • Heat 2tsp gingelly oil in a sauce pan. Add the mustard and cumin seeds; once the seeds start to splutter, add the curry leaves, garlic cloves and onions. Cook till onions start to turn lightly brown.
  • Add the eggplant and cook till tender, about 5~6 minutes.
  • Add the prepared coriander water and let the mixture boil for 10~12 minutes or until it doesn't smell raw anymore. 
Serve with hot steamed rice.


Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 39.




Signature

14 comments:

  1. I do this kuzhambu whenever i feel lazy..Quick and fingerlicking dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I also have the same vessel.. well presented the comforting kuzhambu!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah you have an eggplant!..the picture looks sinful Pavani..never made this, so bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. as always your clicks are inviting..the sambar looks good ..infact the whole meal looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting one, Pavani. Never heard of this made with eggplant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very interesting recipe. And the rasam looks so inviting...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pathiya kulambhu looks so healthy and comforting,perfect with a bowl of steamed rice..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rasam with eggplant! Why am I not surprised! :) Rasam is indeed very inviting am sure it tasted great with steaming rice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe looks so good. I should try this out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. By coriander do you mean the seeds Pavani. I will love to try this out. Trust you to find a way to sneak in the eggplant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds delicious though a simple dish. I have to try it for my husband who loves eggplants.
    This comes handy when you run out of dal, I guess.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow thats a very quick and delicious kuzhambu .. very comforting dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. that's such a light veggie rasam.. sounds easy and quick too

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips