Cook's Hideout: Spicy Colacasia (Sookhi Arvi Curry)

May 24, 2011

Spicy Colacasia (Sookhi Arvi Curry)

For day 2 of BM# 5, I have a quick and easy arbi/ arvi/ chamadumpa/ colacasia fry that I made for our weekend lunch and it turned out spicy and yummy. My mom makes really good chamadumpa vepudu (arvi fry) that are crisp and delicious. I’ve tried a number of times, but my curry usually ends up being mushy and not crisp. I think the arbi that we get here are a little too mealy and disintegrate when boiled and I might be boiling them a little too much too.

Colacassia Roast2

When I saw the recipe and the drool worthy pictures in Pure & Simple cookbook by Vidhu Mittal that I borrowed from the library, I wanted to give the dish a try. My all time favorite dish with arbi is this curry with peanut-garlic sauce from 660 Curries by Ragavan Iyer, but this dish turned out equally good and can be made within 30 minutes.

Pure & Simple

Ingredients:
Arbi – 8-10, medium sized
Ajwain (Carom) seeds – ½ tsp
Hing (Asafoetida) – ¼ tsp
Red chili powder – ½ tsp (add more if you want more heat)
Ground coriander – 1 tsp
Amchoor powder (dry mango powder) – 1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste

Method:
  • Pressure cook arbi for only 1-2 whistles. Once the arbi are cool enough to handle, peel them and squish them or flatten them a little bit with your hands, this will give the veggie more surface area to brown and turn crunchy and yummy.
  • Heat 2tbsp oil in a sauté pan; add ajwain and hing; once the seeds start to splutter add the boiled and flattened arbi.
  • Add the dry masalas and salt and mix to coat the veggie uniformly. Cook on medium flame until golden brown crust forms on both sides, this will take about 5-6 minutes.
Serve hot with steamed rice and dal.

Colacassia Roast

Lets see what my fellow marathoners have been cooking up today:
Curry in a hurry under 30 min: Aarthi, Divya, Jayashree, Kaveri, Pavani,
Seven Days of Indian Sweets:Gayathri, Priya Suresh,
Seven Days of Microwave Meals: Monika,
Seven Days of Regional Specials:Harini, Vaishali, Suma, PJ
Seven Days of Colorful Dishes Kid's Special: Kalyani
Summer Coolers: Jayasree, Kamalika, Srivalli
Signature

11 comments:

  1. Very nice idea. I nver cooked anything with arbi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see Arbi pretty often in the grocery, but draw a blank as to what to do about them. Love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. made many variety of colacasia. this is different... will try this out.. looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can have this yummy curry with some sambhar rice, love it..

    Btw regarding ur q'n about sago laddoos, they will tastes approximately like rava laddoos..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pavani the reason why your arvi gets mushy is because arvi needs only half a whistle..let the pressure drop ,you will see perfectly cooked arvi.well..arvi is so delicious that actually sometimes u dont mind it mushy simple n quich recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks well roasted and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arvi is one of my fav veggies. The preparation is different and looks so inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  8. my family loves Arbi ! and I like the idea of flattenign out the arbi to give it more browning space :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chamadumpa vepudu notlo neellooristhundandi.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips