Cook's Hideout: Les Recettes pour A.W.E.D France

February 23, 2009

Les Recettes pour A.W.E.D France


I took French classes for almost 5 years long long long time ago and don't remember a whole lot now, except for a few words here and there. My only aim was to get a passing grade and get over with it. I struggled to understand why the French had to have genders for every "thing". But now that I think about it, may be I should have paid attention in the class; knowing a second language is such a plus nowadays.

So for this month's A.W.E.D DK @ Culinary Bazaar chose French. My entries are Crunchy Croque Provencal and "French" fries.


Crunchy Croque Provencal:
This recipe is from vegetarian times magazine. Traditionally a Croque sandwich is a hot grilled sandwich made with ham and cheese. This vegetarian version is baked and has tomatoes & onions along with cheese. I made some changes to the recipe since I didn't have some of the ingredients on hand. Click here for the original recipe.

Adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine.
Ingredients:
Rosemary & Olive bread (or French bread) - 4 slices
Coarse-grain mustard - 1 tbsp
Reduced fat Cheddar cheese - 4 slices
Red onion - 2 thin slices, rings separated
Tomatoes - 4 thin slics
Egg - 1, beaten
1% Milk - 1/4 cup
Method:
  • Preheat oven to 450F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
  • Spread mustard over 2 bread slices. Top each slice with cheese, 1 onion ring, 2 tomato slices. Season with salt and pepper. Top with remaining bread slices.
  • Whisk together milk and egg in shallow dish. Season with salt and pepper. Soak both sides of the sandwiches in the milk mixture until liquid is absorbed.
  • Transfer sandwiches to prepared baking sheet, and bake 10 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
These turned out to be one of the tastiest sandwiches I ever had and with my Sweet Potato "French" fries made it a complete meal.

Sweet Potato "French" Fries:
These fries have become my absolute favorite. These are baked instead of fried; they are sweet and savory at the same time which makes them irrestitable. My sweet potato hating husband also likes them. They can be flavored in many different ways, for the french themed fries, I added 'herb de provence'.

Ingredients:
Sweet Potato - 1 medium
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Herb de provence - 1 tsp
Salt & pepper - to taste

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 450F.
  • Cut sweet potato into thin slices.
  • Add oil, herbs, salt and pepper into a bowl. Add the potato slices, toss around to coat.
  • Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet (covered with foil for easy clean up) and bake for 15-20 minutes.
These are not as crunchy as regular potato fries, but they are much more nutritious and delicious.

8 comments:

  1. I can't even pronounce that title! :D

    Looks delicious though, melting cheese in sandwich. French fries, I think they say "Pomme Frite" or something. Sweet potato sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can undestand how frustating is genders in French with "le" and "la" for everything!. French is grammaticaly very tough but a very beautiful spoken language! The croque provencal came out delicous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The veg version looks good and the non-veg version sounds lovely as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sandwich sounds so good. Being dipped in egg and baked, wow! Sweet potato baked fries sounds great. Gotta try both soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cheese oozing from the sandwich is tempting me.And the sweet potato french fries looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaaaaaaaaaah! Look at that pic! Can you make some more of this and I can come over? :)

    Thanks a bunch for sending this droolworthy plate over to AWED French

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips